• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

Surprising reason Eels, Bulldogs are winning most new NRL fans

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Eels Lose

The Parramatta Eels have been successful at capitalising on Western Sydney’s strong population growth to attract new fans. Picture: Richard Dobson

The Penrith Panthers may be wowing on the field with their third premiership title in a row but it’s the Eels and Bulldogs that have been winning the most new fans owing to population growth.

Roy Morgan research revealed that the Parramatta Eels are Sydney’s most supported NRL club, while the Bulldogs supporter base is growing the fastest.

Both clubs’ rising popularity can be attributed to multiple factors, but experts revealed rapid housing development in the traditional heartland of each club has played a role.

MORE: Inside the glamour homes of NRL’s new champions

These regions are among the most popular for newly arrived migrants due to the larger supply of newly built properties, along with expanding infrastructure and job opportunities.

And it’s this demographic that appears to be boosting the fan base for each team, especially the Parramatta Eels.

NRL Telstra Premiership Grand Final

The Panthers’ recent success on the field has not translated to as many new fans as other clubs in faster growing areas. Picture: David Swift

The club reported in 2020 that one in five of their supporters were born overseas, with those of Indian origin becoming one of the fastest growing demographics supporting the club.

Census data shows the Greater Parramatta region is one of the most popular areas for Indian-born migrants in the country.

It is one of the few Sydney regions where significant amounts of new housing supply have been built due to ongoing high-rise apartment development.

Roy Morgan reported the Eels had a 30 per cent rise in the size of its supporter base over the past year, an increase of about 140,000 fans.

It was the second highest growth among all clubs behind the Canterbury Bulldogs at 33.6 per cent.

The Parramatta Eels remains the club with the NRL’s longest Premiership drought, having not won a Grand Final since 1986.

The South Sydney Rabbitohs were Sydney’s second most supported club, but the supporter base grew by just 3.4 per cent.

The Dragons, Roosters and Panthers rounded out the top five most supported teams in Sydney.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I know Roy Morgan is a decent resource for a lot of things, but there's no way Melbourne are the most popular NRL team.. I mean if we're going on genuine supporters, as much as it pains me to say it, but you're not going to tell me that Brisbane and Souths are not the biggest backed teams..

Brisbane obviously being a one city team and for a while a one state team, while Souths being the "pride of the league (puke)". I mean you can't go anywhere without seeing a random Souths fan, LOL. I mean shit look at the crowd on the weekend, Brisbane probably accounted for half of those in attendance.. you wouldn't get that with Melbourne.

Surely we would have to be more popular than Melbourne as well. Everybody knows how big the crowds are when the Dogs are flying.