• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

Official Trial vs Knights Team List

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Trial Team News: Bulldogs name strong squad for Knights fixture​

Author bulldogs.com.au
Tue 15 Feb 2022, 03:19 PM

The Bulldogs have taken their first steps towards the 2022 NRL season, by naming a strong squad to take on the Knights at McDonald Jones Stadium on Monday night (7:00PM).

New recruits Tevita Pangai Junior, Matt Dufty and Paul Vaughan have all been named to make their Bulldogs debuts, in what promises to be a fascinating look at the early form of the squad, after a tough pre-season.

Before the main trial starting at 7:00PM, reserve grade will take on their Knights counterparts at 4:45PM, to add further interest to what should be a great night of football.

Note: The NRL Trial will be televised live on Fox Sports and Kayo.

Player
Aaron Schoupp
Ava Seumanufagai
Bailey Biondi-Odo
Brandon Wakeham
Chris Patolo
Corey Waddell
Creedence Toia
Declan Casey
Eli Clarke
Jack Hetherington
Jackson Topine
Jacob Kiraz
Jake Averillo
Jayden Okunbor
Jeremy Marshall-King
Joe Stimson
Josh Cook
Josh Jackson
Kyle Flanagan
Larson Dale-Doyle
Luke Thompson
Matthew Dufty
Max King
Paul Alamoti
Paul Vaughan
Reece Hoffman
Tevita Pangai Junior
Coaching StaffNameSponsor
Head CoachTrent BarrettShoeGrab
Assistant CoachDavid Furner
Assistant CoachCraig Sandercock
NRL Transitional CoachDavid Tangata-Toa

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I can see Max King getting a regular starting spot but time will tell. It's going to be interesting

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Im sorry this early to say but we are doing absolutely nothing different with new players to even suggest we are going to be anywhere but down in the cellar again. All i can say is poor defence slack attack no ideas Barrett will want to wake up fast or he might be the first casualty this year

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
This is their first game together while that Knights team have been together for years.. might not all be doom and gloom

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
we get the first set of 6 on the knights line and dont know what to do with the ball shades of last year again Half time Knights 16-10

Trophy Points
Some positive signs there to work from.

Definitely room for improvement, but first half was a full strength Knights side.

We still lack direction and game management though. 7 minutes from full time we were camped near their tryline for 2 sets of 6, and nobody thought to nail a field goal with the scores locked.

My thoughts on a few players:

GOOD
Creedence Toia - shows some nice footwork and pace.
Josh Cook - some really nice touches out of dummy half.
Ava Seumanufagai - Looks like he's in for a big season, just hits up metre after metre.
Matt Dufty - Lovely vision for the first try assist, and backed it up for his own try. Could be incredibly dangerous floating around the backline with his pace.
Matt King - Really nice offload on him, and made decent metres.
Chris Patolo - Only young but had a solid game I thought.
Declan Casey - Had a bad year in NSW Cup last year, but absolutely smashed Ponga, and another player, and seems really keen to impress this year.
Aaron Schoupp - Seems to have recovered nicely from shoulder surgery, and will push for a first grade spot this year.

BAD
Jayden Okunbor - How many times would you like to drop a ball? His defensive lapses coming off his wing all the time thankfully were not exploited. Needs to pull his finger out.
Jake Averillo - Had a shocker today which lead directly to 2 Knights tries. Anyone would think he's on the outer with todays performance.

AVERAGE
Jeremey Marshall-King - Afew nice scoots from dummy half, but lacks any attacking prowess.
Tevita Pangai Jnr - Started off poorly, and got better as the game went on.
Paul Alamoti - Still a long way off first grade (understandably). Needs to work on his pace and defence.

Flanno and BBOs poor game management with 7 mins to go (should have gone for a field goal) was a concern. We still don't have a decent partner for Burton.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I heard Max King was impressive.. Judging from the highlights it seems as though Dufty will have his hand in a few tries this season.

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I heard Max King was impressive.. Judging from the highlights it seems as though Dufty will have his hand in a few tries this season.
Both players impressed me unlike Okunbor. I like the way cook runs from dummy half and if nothing is on takes on the line himself. something we havent seen in a hooker at the dogs for a few years now

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Both players impressed me unlike Okunbor. I like the way cook runs from dummy half and if nothing is on takes on the line himself. something we havent seen in a hooker at the dogs for a few years now

Hopefully with a better pack he gets a decent chance to show what he's got as poor Deitz got stuck defending the whole time when he got his shot.

I won't be too concerned about the halves situation until we see guys being paired with Burton.

Trophy Points
I thought Burton was an organising half, not just a running half, but seems all the talk indicates he isn't an organiser.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I thought Burton was an organising half, not just a running half, but seems all the talk indicates he isn't an organiser.

He's got the wits about him to become an organiser but I'd still partner him with Kyle over the other's.. Kyle has at least shown in previous seasons that he can play good footy at the top level, just needs to do it at the Dogs

Trophy Points
Trying to remember who Flanno was partnered with at Roosters in halves.

Was it alongside Keary or Cronk or someone?

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Trying to remember who Flanno was partnered with at Roosters in halves.

Was it alongside Keary or Cronk or someone?

Keary and possibly Hutchinson and Lam. For his first full season he did fine. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a blow up after missing a relatively easy kick in their Panthers semi

Trophy Points
Just looked into his career today. Seems he has mostly played (and had success) alongside organising halves.

Most successful alongside Chad Townsend at Sharks, and Luke Keary at Roosters.

SHARKS CAREER
LOSS
3 x alongside Townsend

WIN
5 x alongside Townsend
1 x alongside Johnson/Townsend (played off bench)

ROOSTERS CAREER
LOSS
7 x alongside Keary

WIN
11 x alongside Keary
2 x alongside Hutchinson

BULLDOGS CAREER
LOSS
10 x Losses

WIN
1 x alongside Averillo