• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

Food Tips, Tricks and Hacks.

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Wahesh

Beast by Name, Beast by Nature
Trophy Points
Much like Howard I'm not a huge seafood lover. Don't eat crab/prawns/mussells/shellfish. Do eat fish and chips/fish pieces and stuff though... just not much fresh stuff.

I'll eat Salmon/Tuna if its mixed into like a curry or something but not normally.

But in saying this I won't knock back a quality well cooked Barramundi fresh off the boat. Had an amazing one in Port Douglas...
Gosh, how can you blokes not like this stuff? It's so tasty. I mean... wow. I can't live without it really. My favorite sushi roll is Cali Crab.

1604265736493.png

I love salmon but as long as it's in Sushi or Sashimi form. Sometimes though I do enjoy a nice salmon steak.

1604265672668.png

Trophy Points
Is it a specific ingredient that makes you gag? There's other types though - chicken schnitzel, tuna, vegetarian etc... so it must be a specific ingredient right?
Just not a fan of the consistency.

Trophy Points
To keep bread fresh: Store it in the fridge.
To keep potatos from spoiling: Store them in the fridge crisper.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
While food prices are going up, there's so many little things that are super effective in terms of budgeting.

One of the biggest things I pay attention to, is meat used per meal. Meat is generally the most expensive item on food bills.

I like to do little things like for example if I buy a 5 pack of chicken breast, rather than use one breast per meal, I'll cut it up and make 6 portions.. not a huge deal, but it adds up when you do things like that with different meats. We still get a good serving of meat per meal. Obviously every household is different, but that's for two adults one kid.

Wahesh

Trophy Points
While food prices are going up, there's so many little things that are super effective in terms of budgeting.

One of the biggest things I pay attention to, is meat used per meal. Meat is generally the most expensive item on food bills.

I like to do little things like for example if I buy a 5 pack of chicken breast, rather than use one breast per meal, I'll cut it up and make 6 portions.. not a huge deal, but it adds up when you do things like that with different meats. We still get a good serving of meat per meal. Obviously every household is different, but that's for two adults one kid.
Yeah the little things count. Something I do is have leftover salad from dinner as lunch the next day - does a fair bit in saving you some cash. Also when petrol prices are on the rise but you need to fill up, don't fill up all the way, budget enough keep you going, like filling up $20 as opposed to 20 litres. Then the prices come down top-up then.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Yeah the little things count. Something I do is have leftover salad from dinner as lunch the next day - does a fair bit in saving you some cash. Also when petrol prices are on the rise but you need to fill up, don't fill up all the way, budget enough keep you going, like filling up $20 as opposed to 20 litres. Then the prices come down top-up then.

Yeah that's it save plenty over a decent period of time. I try not to throw any food away unless it has no more shelf life.

For sure, like saving a few cents or few bucks every week adds up so quickly.

BomberBurton

Sending them high in the sky.
Trophy Points
Had an ex-mate who claimed fuel prices don't affect him as he only puts in $10 at a time!!!

Wahesh

Trophy Points
Had an ex-mate who claimed fuel prices don't affect him as he only puts in $10 at a time!!!
I usually cap it at $20 when prices are high and then just gas it when they are low again. They usually sit at their lowest price for about a week, so you know they're not going to get any lower at that point.

Trophy Points
The other thing is the false economy in putting in UNLEADED w Ethanol vs UNLEADED 91 or UNLEADED 95.

PREMIUM 98 is ideally the best fuel you can put in, but most cars are not tuned to take advantage of the extra RON rating.
UNLEADED 95 is a happy medium between 98 and 91, and most cars will run fine with it. Albeit not all servos offer a 95 option.
UNLEADED 91 all service stations have, and it's often priced about the same as UNLEADED w Ethanol, or only a few cents more (making little difference in the fill up cost).
UNLEADED w Ethanol is the real sneaky one though. It's the cheapest and billed as environmentally friendly, BUT most people don't realise that ethanol burns off much faster than standard fuels. As a result you'll go through much more fuel and be filling up more often.

So normally I'll flick between either 98 most of the time, or if I'm in a real pinch and I just need some fuel to tide me over, I'll pop in UNLEADED 91, or UNL 95 if the price is pretty close.

Wahesh

Trophy Points
The other thing is the false economy in putting in UNLEADED w Ethanol vs UNLEADED 91 or UNLEADED 95.

PREMIUM 98 is ideally the best fuel you can put in, but most cars are not tuned to take advantage of the extra RON rating.
UNLEADED 95 is a happy medium between 98 and 91, and most cars will run fine with it. Albeit not all servos offer a 95 option.
UNLEADED 91 all service stations have, and it's often priced about the same as UNLEADED w Ethanol, or only a few cents more (making little difference in the fill up cost).
UNLEADED w Ethanol is the real sneaky one though. It's the cheapest and billed as environmentally friendly, BUT most people don't realise that ethanol burns off much faster than standard fuels. As a result you'll go through much more fuel and be filling up more often.

So normally I'll flick between either 98 most of the time, or if I'm in a real pinch and I just need some fuel to tide me over, I'll pop in UNLEADED 91, or UNL 95 if the price is pretty close.
I never fill up ethanol. Ever. I don't care if they make cars good enough to handle it now, I just always use unleaded as I know it hasn't been tampered with like ethanol has. They always say "approximately 10%" - it could be more - so I just play it safe. Wifey has a VW so it will not take anything less than 95 - but she fills up 98 most of the time.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
not really anything new, but beetroot (canned) is such a great ingredient, for the fact that you can get away with using less sauce, or even no sauce because of its sweetness.. I've been running salad sandwiches lately with beetroot and just a little bit of mustard.