• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

Official Matt Burton joins the Bulldogs.

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Trophy Points
Matt Burton to join the Bulldogs in 2022
bulldogs.com.au Wed 25 Nov 2020, 10:46 AM

The Bulldogs have continued to add the right pieces to their squad for the future with the signing of talented Penrith half, Matt Burton, for three seasons with the 20 year-old arriving at Belmore in 2022.

Burton has been in much demand as one of the best young talents in the NRL and made a spectacular rise through the ranks in 2019, after starting in the Panthers Jersey Flegg squad before moving through the Canterbury Cup into an NRL debut against the Sharks. That season Burton also represented New South Wales at U20 State of Origin level and scored two tries in an outstanding individual performance.

Burton continued his development in 2020, making five NRL appearances for a Panthers side that made the Grand Final.

Bulldogs Chief Executive Andrew Hill was delighted to have added someone of Burton's ability and potential to the squad for 2022:

"Having someone of Matt's ability want to be part of what we are building here at Belmore is exciting for everyone involved at the club and all our Members and fans.

Matt is a great talent and someone that was highly sought after, so we are delighted that he has chosen to join our club and be part of what we believe to be a new beginning for the Bulldogs.

With a new coaching staff that is working extremely hard with our players this pre-season and the addition of several new faces we believe that Matt's signing for 2022 is another massive step forward for this club."

K E

Eat Up Martha
Trophy Points
Building up very nicely. Just need JAC to compliment the signings and we're good.

Still think we need a 9, though.

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I would do the same thing, TBH but it sucks for us. Would've loved to have gotten him for 2021.
well maybe that's why we might be getting Benji for one season as a fill in until Burton arrives the following year

K E

Eat Up Martha
Trophy Points
well maybe that's why we might be getting Benji for one season as a fill in until Burton arrives the following year

I wouldn't be signing him, TBH. I don't think it'd be beneficial.

I'd let Flanagan take control of the team and not have him play second fiddle for a year and potentially have him be stifled. I'd give the 6 to someone like Averillo.

Trophy Points

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I read today how Penrith is incensed that we have swiped one of their juniors that they spent years nurturing in Burton and have said they would be willing to release him for 2020 on the proviso that we give monetary compensation to the Panthers. Hahah how many times have we lost junior up and coming players to souths, wests and the rorters. Maybe we can issue them with back charges over the years .SBW comes to mind.

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
JAC will be a free agent by November 2021 for season 2022. They already got smith for nothing . so stuff the storm we can wait til 2022 and land him without any player swaps .

K E

Eat Up Martha
Trophy Points
I read today how Penrith is incensed that we have swiped one of their juniors that they spent years nurturing in Burton and have said they would be willing to release him for 2020 on the proviso that we give monetary compensation to the Panthers. Hahah how many times have we lost junior up and coming players to souths, wests and the rorters. Maybe we can issue them with back charges over the years .SBW comes to mind.

Boo fucking who. How many halves do they want?

Trophy Points
Laughable isn't it. They forget they have a state of the art Panthers Academy that the NRL and NSW Government put in a huge chunk of money towards. That and a massive catchment area.

Would they be happy if they have so much talent that they create a second club in that area of Sydney? I'm sure not!

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I see the draw shows us playing the magpies at Belmore in August I might just try and go to that one bring back old memories of sitting there over the years watching the Hughes bros and the Mortimers and the tough packs and Steve Gearin and Greg Brentnall and when hookers were real hookers in George Peponis. Eating hot dogs at the breaks and or hot meat pies not from some fancy take away but a portable caravan converted to a mobile shop. Watching all three grades and having a good afternoons entertainment from 11.30am to 5pm . winking at the Canterbury dancing girls in their blue uniforms ahhh memories but good ones . The score board near the railway end changed by two people posting the names and numbers not electronic then. all manual. When most of our upcoming first graders came from our junior ranks and or were recruited from NSW country towns as young teens and brought up through the ranks.
When players played for the love and pride of the club and teams feared our awesome pack of forwards . when players supplemented their wins by working as doorman at the Leagues Club. Those were the glory days of a very proud club. You would listen to the players sing the dogs song at the end of a winning game in the change rooms by placing your ear against the outer brick wall of the change rooms. Let's all bring back the dogs of war. Mr Barrett please make our club great again and you will go down as one of our great coaches. They were called the entertainers back then because it was all about scoring tries and every player knew their position in the team. It was a champion team not a team of champions .There is a difference. Put the bark back into the dogs Woof woof says so

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
This guy is gonna be a star

I know a lot of guys get touted as the next big thing, the likes of Mbye for example... but what sets apart the guys who go on with it, is work ethic, and this guy has it.. he's got a bit of pace about him as well which is obviously a big advantage.

Matt will be our best signing in a very long time

Trophy Points
On a side note, I didn't realise Kyle Flanagan is in the rehab group following shoulder issues.