• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

News Pay under pressure, Dogs NRL meeting looms

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

BomberBurton

Sending them high in the sky.
Trophy Points
The club have to bite the bullet and sack him, because keeping him here is damaging the club threefold.

1. No player will sign with a club who safely supports a struggling coach, for anything other than money.
2. With a huge war chest of salary cap funding available, it will be wasted with Pay, and then if sacked after the fact, we'll have the same cap situation AGAIN trying to offload dead wood. That will be on the boards head.
3. With blokes like Harding, Tass, BBO, Gray, Ghantous, Topine, etc coming through, we have some real talent. But if that talent looks ahead and sees that their career will flatline under Pay, they'll go looking for options with clubs that have coaches that will develop their games. Cases in point: Moses Suli and Morgan Harper.

If I'm the club I'm looking at the coaching landscape out there:
Kearney - Don't go there.
Green / Morris / McGregor - Not officially available yet.
Bennett - Can't argue that he gets results and can nuture talent. Like Gould he isn't afraid to refer players to our club. But is he available?
Griffin - Well worth making enquiries about.
Toovey - Potentially a good pick AND can manage funds incredibly well.
Flanagan - Try as I might, I couldn't support this. His results are unsupported outside a dodgy team. Even if cleared himself of any blame in the peptides saga, the fact remains he allowed people near the players that did, and that's poor judgement in itself.

So for me it's out of 2: Griffin or Toovey, with Bennett or Green IF made available.

Wasn't Suli axed in the preseason for behavioural issues?

BomberBurton

Trophy Points
Suli was a bit of a dickhead, but he's performing well for Manly these days. Just rejected a 6 figure contract and signed with Manly for 2 more years.

Hasler could get the best out of him, whereas Pay failed largely to motivate him.
Tigers failed to get the most from him too, with him apparently turning up to training for 5 minutes, then going to a teammates car to sleep for the rest of the training.
Had 2 indiscretions within 2 weeks in preseason training with us before being axed and apparently similar reasons for why he wasn't retained @ Parra.

Bad Billy

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Suli was a bit of a dickhead, but he's performing well for Manly these days. Just rejected a 6 figure contract and signed with Manly for 2 more years.

Hasler could get the best out of him, whereas Pay failed largely to motivate him.
In all fairness, maybe the possibility of digging holes for an income forevermore, motivated him?

Trophy Points

memberberries

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Why can't the bulldogs get a decent coach? I swear the bulldogs have been cursed since bringing Des Hasler into the club.

I never agreed with having him go to the bulldogs. It would be like having Steve Mortimer at the roosters

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Well like I said last Monday odds on Pay will stay and I was right the boards stuck with him for now only because the old coach at Bunnies saying the rumours are all wrong and he is sticking with the bunnies and blaming the media for starting rubbish rumours. Plus I don't think there is any coach of decency track record left. Channel 7 news reported tonight that Pay has the players unqualified support to stay . Well if they want him to stay start playing and scoring and winning to keep him then if that's the case.

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I never believed the rumours that Bennett would come here anyway. He prefers to coach teams with at least half a chance and some decent playing rosters.

BomberBurton

Trophy Points
If Bennet is coming here, it's probably as a mentor/coaching directors role.
I like the rumours of Ennis coming back.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I never believed the rumours that Bennett would come here anyway. He prefers to coach teams with at least half a chance and some decent playing rosters.

I guess it depends on what options he has.. I mean he ain't getting any younger

Is it safe yet

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Well like I said last Monday odds on Pay will stay and I was right the boards stuck with him for now only because the old coach at Bunnies saying the rumours are all wrong and he is sticking with the bunnies and blaming the media for starting rubbish rumours. Plus I don't think there is any coach of decency track record left. Channel 7 news reported tonight that Pay has the players unqualified support to stay . Well if they want him to stay start playing and scoring and winning to keep him then if that's the case.
Ever heard a player say that he didn’t like the way he was coached while he was still at the club? This team will play better the longer Wakeham stays in FG. The more confident he gets with himself and those around him the better we will look.I was impressed with his first half last week so hopefully he can build on that.Playing on the right side with Jacko outside him will help calm him.Experienced centre and winger will also be good for him.

boxer

THE BOSS
Trophy Points
I suspect pay will either go at the end of the season or be resigned for another 10 years to try and win a premiership
Please don’t say that I can’t handle 10 years of pay putting players out of positions.

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Please don’t say that I can’t handle 10 years of pay putting players out of positions.
lol I might ask to be put out on the wing at 70 years never see any ball to do anything so it wont matter f I cant run anymore. I hear the boys are being trained by Pay to practice with a pretend ball so they get used of not handling a real one on game days