• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

Official Round 1 - Bulldogs vs Cowboys - Team and Game Discussion Thread

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
1646719228219.png

The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs have selected eight players to make their club debuts against the Cowboys in Townsville this Sunday night (6:15PM AEDT).
Under the leadership of Josh Jackson, Bulldogs fans will see Matt Dufty, Braidon Burns, Brent Naden, Josh Addo-Carr, Matt Burton, Paul Vaughan, Tevita Pangai Junior and Max King represent the blue and whites for the first time.

The Bulldogs will travel to Townsville on Friday, and will look to avenge a 30-18 defeat at Queensland Country Bank Stadium, in Round Six last season.

1Matt DuftyAIWC
2Jayden OkunborTender Loving Care (TLC)
3Braidon BurnsTLH Recruitment
4Brent NadenHy-Tec
5Josh Addo-CarrMMX Projects
6Matt BurtonIntello IT
7Jake AverilloJay Productions & Events
8Luke ThompsonPenny’s Pork Crackling
9Jeremey Marshall-KingDaily Press
10Paul VaughanCincotta Chemist
11Jack HetheringtonKhalil Lawyers
12Tevita Pangai JuniorPuppi Lovers
13Josh Jackson (C)Armour Cleaning
InterchangeRecovery Partners
14Bailey Biondi-OdoDental on Evaline
15Corey WaddellAccolade Wines
16Max KingMcDoanlds Punchbowl & Lakemba
17Chris PatoloGuardian Venue Management
Reserves
19Brandon WakehamRecovery Partners
20Aaron Schoupp
21Joe Stimson
22Josh Cook
23Ava Seumanufagai
24Kyle Flanagan
25Reece Hoffman

Last edited by a moderator:

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Swear we either get a crap team away or a good team at home to start each season.

Anyway I think this is the best lineup personally although I did like Cook in the trials. Having said that BBO has looked promising at times so hopefully one of them can nail down that bench spot.

Actually it has to be said that Jayden got lucky though he wasn't worst on field in the second trial. Either way I suspect Lumi Lumi will end up taking that wing spot at some stage.

Trophy Points
NSW Cup (not sure if its being played this week or cancelled), but it's pencilled in for Saturday.

Schoupp, Flanno, Wakeham, Cook, and Stimson all named (and Lumelume as well).

Makes me wonder if Seumanufagai and Hoffman will be the only players actually covering 19 and 20 (18th man).

Okunbor in the side again is annoying. How many chances can one guy have!!

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
NSW Cup (not sure if its being played this week or cancelled), but it's pencilled in for Saturday.

Schoupp, Flanno, Wakeham, Cook, and Stimson all named (and Lumelume as well).

Makes me wonder if Seumanufagai and Hoffman will be the only players actually covering 19 and 20 (18th man).

Okunbor in the side again is annoying. How many chances can one guy have!!

I just realised Ave missed out.. unlucky! Though King and Patolo looked good in the trials. Waddell showed more intent but he'll want to go better this year.

All we can hope for is that Jayden can make it through the game without knocking on.

boxer

THE BOSS
Trophy Points
I just realised Ave missed out.. unlucky! Though King and Patolo looked good in the trials. Waddell showed more intent but he'll want to go better this year.

All we can hope for is that Jayden can make it through the game without knocking on.
Hope king kills it I like him.

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Just shows our area of weakness when in reserve we list two halves and a hooker. the spine mystery at the dogs has hung around for 3 years now with terrible results. The back line looks good with the exception of okunbor (another long term signing that has been wasted) and its about time someone told the forwards that when we get into an attacking position they dont hog the ball they set up the backs to attack hence the reason once again as to why we don't
score many points.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I'm starting to change my tune a little bit on Averillo I think having Burton there will do wonders for the kid, particular now that less of the expectation is on him. I honestly can't see Matt losing his confidence; the guy loves a challenge.

Trophy Points
Interesting that every first grade player named in top 17 has a sponsor.

I wonder if the company sponsors the position/jersey rather than the player though.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I think it's the player as they would have to have it negotiated and signed off on, and also you'll notice the top players like Cleary etc have better sponsors

BomberBurton

Sending them high in the sky.
Trophy Points
1 Matt Dufty
2 Aaron Schoupp
3 Jake Averillo (iirc, he performed best as a centre for us)
4 Brent Naden
5 Josh Addo-Carr (C) (He WILL get away with FAR more than JJ would with the Ref's and allow JJ to concentrate more upon his game)
6 Matt Burton
7 Brandon Wakeham (has the ability as witnessed in his rep games, yet NEEDS confidence)
8 Luke Thompson
9 Josh Cook (has showed FAR more than JMK ever has)
10 Paul Vaughan
11 Jack Hetherington
12 Tevita Pangai Junior
13 Josh Jackson
Interchange
14 Bailey Biondi-Odo (feel he could play 1, 6, 7 or 9)
15 Ava Seumanufagai
16 Max King
17 Chris Patolo
Reserves
19 Corey Waddell
20 Kyle Flanagan
21 Joe Stimson
22 Reece Hoffman

What I'd consider going with.
19-20 covers concussion + non starters.
21- 22 cover non starters.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Keep in mind Wakeham's night out was against Lebanon. In saying that I'd like to see him attack with more desire.. He looks like he's out there for a tea party at times.

IIf JMK plays the full season and if Averillo doesn't improve it could be a long season.

BomberBurton

Sending them high in the sky.
Trophy Points
Keep in mind Wakeham's night out was against Lebanon. In saying that I'd like to see him attack with more desire.. He looks like he's out there for a tea party at times.

IIf JMK plays the full season and if Averillo doesn't improve it could be a long season.
True and a good portion are NRL level players.
I'd like to see that too, yet maybe he's what we're seeking, an organiser.
This will leave Burton to be himself.