• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

Official Round 1 - Bulldogs vs Cowboys - Team and Game Discussion Thread

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Bad Billy

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I don’t think it was that bad. It was a character building win.
7 debutants.
8-2 first half penalty count.
2 disallowed try’s. Avo’s was definitely a try.
4 HIA substitutions.
Tropical heat.
Torrential rain.

We could’ve easily been steamrolled in that game, but we hung tough and eeked out a win.

boxer

THE BOSS
Trophy Points
I don’t think it was that bad. It was a character building win.
7 debutants.
8-2 first half penalty count.
2 disallowed try’s. Avo’s was definitely a try.
4 HIA substitutions.
Tropical heat.
Torrential rain.

We could’ve easily been steamrolled in that game, but we hung tough and eeked out a win.
I’m still stunned about the 2 disallowed try’s.

Trophy Points
After that game I'm doing a bulk buy on these (https://firstaidkitsaustralia.com.au/defibrillators/HeartSine-Samaritan-500P-Marine-Combo), who is in??

Seriously I was 20-30 minutes out from full time and was tempted to turn off because the game was legitimately starting to trigger my anxiety. I was pretty sure we were going to lose, but thankfully Cowboys fucked it up.

Good signs in the game despite getting absolutely reamed by the last minute changed ref Cummins.

We'll get good confidence from this win, which is invaluable, not to mention allow the team to gel and increase not only belief but team camraderie.

It's early days but it's only up from here I reckon.

boxer

THE BOSS
Trophy Points
If we new in advance Dogs were going to win I think we would all take it no matter what lol at least Baz has some pressure off him for the week
I still think we did better than what everyone is saying,
especially the second half , we didn’t let the cowboys breath we had 5 HIA , rain and humidity was a big factor but our fitness was 1st class.
2 disallowed try’s, penalty count was lump sided in the first half, I think it was 10-2 then 0-5 in the second.
We are looking good

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I still think we did better than what everyone is saying,
especially the second half , we didn’t let the cowboys breath we had 5 HIA , rain and humidity was a big factor but our fitness was 1st class.
2 disallowed try’s, penalty count was lump sided in the first half, I think it was 10-2 then 0-5 in the second.
We are looking good

I need to watch the replay of the game but keeping them to one try is a good effort even if it is the Cowboys. The team would have lost that game last year so it's the start of improvements

boxer

THE BOSS
Trophy Points
I need to watch the replay of the game but keeping them to one try is a good effort even if it is the Cowboys. The team would have lost that game last year so it's the start of improvements
Yeah 100% we would’ve lost the game last year.

Trophy Points
Just read that Granville was charged for his Dangerous Contact on Burton. Grade 1 so $1000/$1500 fine first offence. Only other one charged (same charge) was Loiero from Storm (and that one was far worse).

Cowboys smashed Broncos in week 2 of the trials. Cowboys were missing Taumalolo, Broncos missing Adam Reynolds.

We are certainly in with a good chance next week, and as you say Boxer, we ere better than some give us credit for.

HIA NO RETURNS
Chris Patolo
HIA 42nd minute.
Time on field: 16 minutes

Braidon Burns
HIA 56th minute.
Time on field: 56 minutes

Brent Naden
HIA 64th minute.
Time on field: 64 minutes

JMK
HIA 70th minute.
Time on field: 70 minutes

So we played the entire second half down one forward, 25 odd minutes down one centre and both centres gone 15 minutes from end of game, and no bench for last 10 minutes.

That makes the win even more courageous.

Trophy Points
Post Match Interviews done by Jackson Topine this week. Pretty cool that they are getting players involved like that.

Round 1 Press Conference:

Post Game Interview - Max King

Post Game Interview - Josh Addo Carr

BomberBurton

Sending them high in the sky.
Trophy Points
Cowboys are predicted to come last this year for perspective.

Trophy Points
The Averillo one was definitely down and that's where the refs call becomes a kind of grey area as it would have been given if it went up as a try.
Both were tries.

When its something like that, "Benefit of the Doubt" should apply to the attacking side.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I finally got a chance to watch the replay.

More to like than expected tbh yeah attack wasn't great and as Shane Flanagan put it - too many setups

But there was a lot of positives in general play and improvements from last year.. for starters they look fitter and stronger which is obviously aided by the new faces..

Jack Hetherington is in for a big season and needs guys pushing up with him

Burnes looks likely and I expect he will make a fair few breaks this year

Burton's big boot is awesome as is his defence, particularly his cover defence

Max King really solid on both sides of the footy

JMK and Avo both showing improvement

Love that Dufty looks keen for work

Love that they had energy at the back end of the game which is what the team has lacked for a while, as well as being able to hold them out for so long at the end, even if it was the Cowboys.

It remains to be seen how well they'll go this year obviously but there are good signs.

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I finally got a chance to watch the replay.

More to like than expected tbh yeah attack wasn't great and as Shane Flanagan put it - too many setups

But there was a lot of positives in general play and improvements from last year.. for starters they look fitter and stronger which is obviously aided by the new faces..

Jack Hetherington is in for a big season and needs guys pushing up with him

Burnes looks likely and I expect he will make a fair few breaks this year

Burton's big boot is awesome as is his defence, particularly his cover defence

Max King really solid on both sides of the footy

JMK and Avo both showing improvement

Love that Dufty looks keen for work

Love that they had energy at the back end of the game which is what the team has lacked for a while, as well as being able to hold them out for so long at the end, even if it was the Cowboys.

It remains to be seen how well they'll go this year obviously but there are good signs.
Yes good signs but very little in attack same old same

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Yes good signs but very little in attack same old same

Well too many setups is not ideal but I thought they at least tried some things.. the Burton Dufty combo will come on, as will Dufty linking with the outside men.

Burns looks likely and also TPJ adds another dimension.

I think after a few more rounds we'll see much more backing up, particularly for Hetherington who often gets the ball carrying arm free.

Time will tell I suppose but I reckon there is points in this team I mean it might take a month or so to click but even Souths required a second sinbin + a million penalties to get their second try for the season after 145 minutes