• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

Official Round 4 - Bulldogs vs Melb Storm - Team and Game Discussion Thread

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Trophy Points
Why move Waddell from prop where he's been playing his best footy of late?

Also Max King was injured last game, and Patolo makes no metres.

Vague team list with many changes I suspect.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Waddell has been just about our best but I suppose Trent might think he's got more attack in him as that's where he starred as a junior and we need options in attack.

Patolo very lucky to retain his spot and apparently Max King will line up.

Trophy Points
We need to come out firing in this game. They have strike power across the field, but they are beatable (as is any team).

It's possible they'll enter this game thinking we are easy beats.

When you watch the Storm though they aren't THAT hard to beat, if you manage to do three things:
1. Rush them in defence, giving them no space to move.
2. Shut down their offloads.
3. Shut down their second phase play to guys like Papenhauyzen.

Those 3 key elements is what have them running riot. Guys like Paps, Munster and Hughes run riot when given space and allowed to gameplay or setup kicks to the outside backs. But if they are stifled in defence, that's when they struggle.

Add to this, guys like Burton with a massive boot, we need to keep them turned around in their own half.

Trophy Points
Not much really of note in the interviews there.

Both Thompson and TPJ need to start firing in order to get our season on track.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Not much really of note in the interviews there.

Both Thompson and TPJ need to start firing in order to get our season on track.

I thought TPJ went alright against the Broncos but I think the wet weather on the weekend really did not suit his game and you could tell by watching him.. I don't think he even attempted an offload.

Thompson might offer more in a different position where he can play more of his natural style of game.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
We need to come out firing in this game. They have strike power across the field, but they are beatable (as is any team).

It's possible they'll enter this game thinking we are easy beats.

When you watch the Storm though they aren't THAT hard to beat, if you manage to do three things:
1. Rush them in defence, giving them no space to move.
2. Shut down their offloads.
3. Shut down their second phase play to guys like Papenhauyzen.

Those 3 key elements is what have them running riot. Guys like Paps, Munster and Hughes run riot when given space and allowed to gameplay or setup kicks to the outside backs. But if they are stifled in defence, that's when they struggle.

Add to this, guys like Burton with a massive boot, we need to keep them turned around in their own half.

Pay had a really good game plan against them a few years ago when Reimis almost stole the win at the end.. moreso with the ball and running their big boys around not letting them lay all over us in tackles etc

BomberBurton

Sending them high in the sky.
Trophy Points
That is another factor we need to work upon.
Get in the Ref's ear about teams lying on top of us in tackles, slowing down our play of ball
If we can speed that up, or see penalties for them doing so, we will also be more competitive, with fatigue being a bigger issue for opponents.
JAC is ideal for this, with support from other team mates.

Trophy Points
UPDATED TEAM LISTS IN FIRST POST

Round 4 Late Mail - Storm v Bulldogs, Sunday, 4.05pm AEDT, AAMI Park

Storm: A change 24 hours before kick-off with Dean Ieremia forced out with a hamstring injury and Nick Meaney taking his place on the wing.
On the other wing Xavier Coates is back from a hamstring injury while hooker Harry Grant (COVID-19) also returns, with Brandon Smith reverting to the bench.

Bulldogs: Aaron Schoupp came out of the side on Saturday and has been replaced in the centres by Jake Averillo.
The Dogs have lost Jack Hetherington to a shoulder injury, with Corey Waddell officially in the run-on side this week. Max King has been named despite going off early last week to manage a niggle.

Very interesting backline now, and I can (hopefully) see it changing even more before run on.

1. Dufty
2. Naden
3. Burns
4. Averillo
5. JAC

Would be a seriously dangerous backline. Sure Burns tipons to JAC might be valuable, but Naden and Averillo on the same side might be a defensive mistake.

Good that Max King will play as well.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Schoup deserved to keep his spot for mine not sure what Averillo is going to do better

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Not much to take out of that game.. some of the forwards did what they could with the ball.. TPJ and Max King had a go.. TPJ would be lethal with his offload if we had strike players in motion.. it always ends up with a forward or somebody who gets tackled.. when the good teams get an offload it will often end up in the hands of a strike player or spine player.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
if Trent thinks he is a genuine first grade coach he should have his recruit Kyle in first grade playing his best footy. Clearly none of the other guys who he's tried this year are going to threaten any teams

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
if Trent thinks he is a genuine first grade coach he should have his recruit Kyle in first grade playing his best footy. Clearly none of the other guys who he's tried this year are going to threaten any teams
Goodbye Barrett I have said from the start of this season we were about to get an absolute pasting and that is what happened. last year blame a poor team with no idea. This year a top team with a no hoper Coach. Always had this idea this coach could not even knit an easy jumper together with the finest wool. My words coming back. Start thinking about retirement on that disgraceful performance and do not offer any more excuses to defend yourself. We are about to land back on the bottom of the comp i am afraid boys and it wont get any better until we get a proven decent coach . The writing is on the wall

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Genmuine first grade coach. He failed with a top team at the Sea Eagles and now we are about to suffer the same embarassment. I would be surprised if Mr Gould will put up with lack of attack all year without an axe falling and now our defence has crumbled also.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Goodbye Barrett I have said from the start of this season we were about to get an absolute pasting and that is what happened. last year blame a poor team with no idea. This year a top team with a no hoper Coach. Always had this idea this coach could not even knit an easy jumper together with the finest wool. My words coming back. Start thinking about retirement on that disgraceful performance and do not offer any more excuses to defend yourself. We are about to land back on the bottom of the comp i am afraid boys and it wont get any better until we get a proven decent coach . The writing is on the wall

As one of our fine members here put it - he's "one of the boys"... a rebuilding squad demands not only experience, but a coach who demands respect. Somebody on The Kennel pointed out how the Sharks still have the same culture among their core players that was instilled by Shane Flanagan who I think would be perfect for our team.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
At least Dragons are taking a tiny bit of focus off of our effort although they have still been a lot better than the Dogs today

BomberBurton

Sending them high in the sky.
Trophy Points
A polished turd is still at the end of the day, only a piece of shit!
We've talented and dedicated players, yet our team is that piece of shit.
Why has to be asked by those running the show.
Either they've recruited poorly in players or coach.

Trophy Points
Didn't watch the game (caught up with a few things) but saw the end result.

Was looking at the stats and I'm puzzled how the score ended up blowing out so hard, as we were on top for most positive stats and Storm on top for negative stats.

Heck we even had more possession.

Seems like Paps was fired up... were we shithouse or Melb just absolutely on today?