• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

TV Docs The Documentary Thread

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Wahesh

Beast by Name, Beast by Nature
Trophy Points
Speaking of such, there's a doco series on Netflix called "High Score" which is apparently really good. Haven't got around to watching it yet. It covers a lot of the early history of video games.
Watched ep 4 last night. It was basically about Nintendo having a stronghold on the market with no real competition, and Sega answering their challenge. It explains a lot about Sega, how they came up with the concept for Sonic (including his blue colour) and what their strategy was to challenge Nintendo. Being a pixel and Sega enthusiast, I loved this episode. It also goes into depth about American Football games on Sega (@K E and @ASSASSIN take note).

Next episode should be good too - the beginning of Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat. Can't wait for that one :cool:

K E

Eat Up Martha
Trophy Points
Dancing with the Birds on Netflix.

The music kinda ruins it but some stunning birds in it.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Russia - a global power, confident and strong. That’s the image projected by President Vladimir Putin. Decades after the Soviet Union’s collapse, Putin is relying on Russian traditions and values from the tsarist past to kindle patriotism. Many Russians see Vladimir Putin as the man who has returned pride, glory and honor to their nation. The Cossacks, an ultra-conservative group, are key to Putin's grip on power. They are honored as guardians of traditional Russian values and serve Putin as nationalist paramilitaries. Tens of thousands of Russians identify as Cossacks. They trace their origins to horsemen who formed mounted bands in the Russian steppes during the 15th Century. Over the course of time, they served many masters - including the tsars. After the Communist revolution, they faced oppression and persecution. During World War II, some were active in Hitler's armies. Now, President Putin is capitalizing on their nationalistic priorities. This documentary looks at the role Cossacks play in supporting police in Moscow, including during demonstrations by regime opponents. Another pillar of support for Putin is the Russian Orthodox Church. It has resurged under Putin, and exercises considerable political influence - an alliance that benefits both sides. Article 14, paragraph 2 of the Russian constitution defines the separation of church and state. But the Russian Orthodox Church sees itself as a bulwark against outside influence and supports the Kremlin, for example in its annexation of Crimea. It sees itself as the protector of Russian values, and views homosexuality as a sign of an impending apocalypse. The filmmakers show how nostalgia for "Glorious Russia" and the values of the tsarist period are playing out in modern day Russian politics.

Wahesh

Trophy Points
Russia - a global power, confident and strong. That’s the image projected by President Vladimir Putin. Decades after the Soviet Union’s collapse, Putin is relying on Russian traditions and values from the tsarist past to kindle patriotism. Many Russians see Vladimir Putin as the man who has returned pride, glory and honor to their nation. The Cossacks, an ultra-conservative group, are key to Putin's grip on power. They are honored as guardians of traditional Russian values and serve Putin as nationalist paramilitaries. Tens of thousands of Russians identify as Cossacks. They trace their origins to horsemen who formed mounted bands in the Russian steppes during the 15th Century. Over the course of time, they served many masters - including the tsars. After the Communist revolution, they faced oppression and persecution. During World War II, some were active in Hitler's armies. Now, President Putin is capitalizing on their nationalistic priorities. This documentary looks at the role Cossacks play in supporting police in Moscow, including during demonstrations by regime opponents. Another pillar of support for Putin is the Russian Orthodox Church. It has resurged under Putin, and exercises considerable political influence - an alliance that benefits both sides. Article 14, paragraph 2 of the Russian constitution defines the separation of church and state. But the Russian Orthodox Church sees itself as a bulwark against outside influence and supports the Kremlin, for example in its annexation of Crimea. It sees itself as the protector of Russian values, and views homosexuality as a sign of an impending apocalypse. The filmmakers show how nostalgia for "Glorious Russia" and the values of the tsarist period are playing out in modern day Russian politics.

Interesting.

The reason I love Putin so much is because he isn't a leader who simply talks, he's a leader who simply walks (no need to even talk, he just gets shit done).

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Interesting.

The reason I love Putin so much is because he isn't a leader who simply talks, he's a leader who simply walks (no need to even talk, he just gets shit done).

Yep, he doesn't get caught up in childish bullshit because he's too busy focusing on important matters... Western media can say what they like but his actions, along with how he is received by his people speak louder

Hacky McAxe

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Watched ep 4 last night. It was basically about Nintendo having a stronghold on the market with no real competition, and Sega answering their challenge. It explains a lot about Sega, how they came up with the concept for Sonic (including his blue colour) and what their strategy was to challenge Nintendo. Being a pixel and Sega enthusiast, I loved this episode. It also goes into depth about American Football games on Sega (@K E and @ASSASSIN take note).

Next episode should be good too - the beginning of Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat. Can't wait for that one :cool:

I still need to get around to watching it.

Was listening to an interesting podcast the other day about the origins of Nintendo stuff and how they moved into the game market 'cause one brilliant engineer saw a guy sitting on the train playing with his calculator. That engineer came up with most of Nintendo's early innovations.

Wahesh

Trophy Points
I still need to get around to watching it.

Was listening to an interesting podcast the other day about the origins of Nintendo stuff and how they moved into the game market 'cause one brilliant engineer saw a guy sitting on the train playing with his calculator. That engineer came up with most of Nintendo's early innovations.
They go a bit further back than that. I'm talking no graphics, just computer quotes and the player replies with simple commands on what to do. It's quite interesting.

Watch ep 5 yesterday. It was pretty brilliant. Basically, Street Fighter 2 was what change the world, then MK came along and shit hit the fan in the US Senate with people wanting the game to be banned due to blood and fatalities etc... lol. I don't know what the big fuss was about. I love playing those games and never had the urge to rip anyone's neck out with their head attached lol.

Hacky McAxe

Squad Member
Trophy Points
They go a bit further back than that. I'm talking no graphics, just computer quotes and the player replies with simple commands on what to do. It's quite interesting.

Watch ep 5 yesterday. It was pretty brilliant. Basically, Street Fighter 2 was what change the world, then MK came along and shit hit the fan in the US Senate with people wanting the game to be banned due to blood and fatalities etc... lol. I don't know what the big fuss was about. I love playing those games and never had the urge to rip anyone's neck out with their head attached lol.

I remember those text adventures. They actually released new versions of those and they're really good. You get them on the app store. Full text adventures with no graphics. Purely text. But they're great interactive stories.

The ones I played through are the Lifeline series. Really interesting stories.

Wahesh

Trophy Points
I remember those text adventures. They actually released new versions of those and they're really good. You get them on the app store. Full text adventures with no graphics. Purely text. But they're great interactive stories.

The ones I played through are the Lifeline series. Really interesting stories.
There are still a few around - interactive stories and and what have you - multiple choice type games. I think they're mainly aimed at teenage girls though.

Trophy Points
Ahh text adventures, like the original Kings Quest and Police Quest.. Pity Sierra are no longer around. Gees they made some quality games.

We had quite a few text adventure games for the Amstrad, but the only one that rings a bell was Leather Goddesses of Phobos. I can't even recall the storyline.

That said... have you guys seen https://myabandonware.com

Wahesh

Trophy Points
Ahh text adventures, like the original Kings Quest and Police Quest.. Pity Sierra are no longer around. Gees they made some quality games.

We had quite a few text adventure games for the Amstrad, but the only one that rings a bell was Leather Goddesses of Phobos. I can't even recall the storyline.

That said... have you guys seen https://myabandonware.com
Yep, that's a pretty good site actually. One thing I've never been able to find though, is the fully registered version of Scorched Earth. As you can see it's the one on the right that's completely greyed out :(

1604265243683.png

Wahesh

Trophy Points
Finished High Score. I actually thought the last episode was cool, but eps 4 and 5 were my favorite.

Highly recommended for anyone who's ever played a console or PC game.

Trophy Points
Yep, that's a pretty good site actually. One thing I've never been able to find though, is the fully registered version of Scorched Earth. As you can see it's the one on the right that's completely greyed out :(

View attachment 1020
Ahhh man Scorched Earth ... so many wasted hours on that as a kid/teenager!

Trophy Points
Worms and Lemmings were amazing games.

Also I'm yet to see someone produce a quality alternative to Boulderdash or Bubble Bobble!

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Worms and Lemmings were amazing games.

Also I'm yet to see someone produce a quality alternative to Boulderdash or Bubble Bobble!

Lemmings would have to be one of the most unique games ever made... I was actually watching a video of somebody playing Lemmings the other day online lol.. no idea why... nostalgia I guess.

Wahesh

Trophy Points
Ahhh man Scorched Earth ... so many wasted hours on that as a kid/teenager!
Yep. There weren't too many games where you could play with 10 people at the same time lol. I remember me and my cousins used to crowd around a 486 computer with an old 13 inch CRT monitor playing that game. Everyone wanted it to, so I took the floppy disk to their houses whenever I went over and installed it.

Good old days.