• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

News Okunbor and Harawira-Naera Return - Consolidated Thread

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Bad Billy

Squad Member
Trophy Points
NRL stars Corey Harawira-Naera and Jayden Okunbor have dramatically had their deregistrations overturned on appeal.

The two stars are back eligible to play in the NRL this season after the NRL Appeals Committee reduced the penalties handed down for the Port Macquarie school sex scandal.
Okunbor received an indefinite ban from the game after he was found to have acted inappropriately during the team’s visit to the town.
Harawira-Naera’s deregistration was also reported to effectively constitute a two-year ban after he was found to have breached of the NRL’s code of conduct.

But those severe punishments were wiped away on Monday.

The NRL has instead announced Okunbor’s penalty has been slashed to a 14-game ban and a $22,5000 fine.

Harawira-Naera’s suspension has also been reduced to a 10-game ban that includes a $15,000 fine.

An NRL investigation into the Port Macquarie school sex scandal found Okunbor and Harawira-Naera allegedly took teenage schoolgirls back to the team hotel for sex.
Screenshots also emerged of Okunbor allegedly requesting topless images from one of the teenage girls.

The 23-year-old is now cleared to make his return in the NRL from Round 15.

Harawira-Naera is eligible to play for the Bulldogs in their Round 11 clash with Newcastle — less than two weeks away.

The Bulldogs announced in April both players’ contracts had been terminated with immediate effect.

However, the club released a statement on Monday indicating the club would consider its contractual position with reports the club would be open to having Harawira-Naera return as soon as he has completed his 14-days of self isolation before entering the club’s biosecurity bubble.

Channel 9 journalist Danny Weidler reported the pair have both been reinstated as contracted players.
“The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs have this afternoon been advised by the NRL of the appeal process result for Corey Harawira-Naera and Jayden Okunbor,” the Canterbury statement claimed.

“We are now working with the NRL to determine how this process will be implemented and will await further advice from the NRL on the next stage.

“We will release a further update when we have more information.”

Acting NRL boss Andrew Abdo also released a statement to announce the game is “disappointed” with the Committee’s decision to reduce the punishments handed out.

“The NRL took the action which it considered necessary given the serious breaches of the Code of Conduct – breaches the Appeals Committee also found to be serious,” Abdo said.

“The independent appeals committee has taken a different view on what penalty the players should face and although we are disappointed, we respect the outcome.”

Okunbor and Harawira-Naera announced in April they would challenge their deregistrations through the appeals avenue.

Former NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg said at the time the players’ behaviour was “inexcusable”.

“The behaviour of both players was inexcusable and a very serious breach of the code of conduct,’‘ NRL boss Todd Greenberg said last week.

“The game will not tolerate such conduct and as such both players have had their registrations cancelled.”

Wahesh

Beast by Name, Beast by Nature
Trophy Points
So what happens now? IIRC both were sacked by the NRLol and the bulldogs just supported it. Does this mean they are both contracted back to us?

K E

Eat Up Martha
Trophy Points
So now because our cockless CEO wanted to be a hero and talk shit/tough we now face a very likely scenario of losing our best, most skilful forward because, you know, we have a thousand of those...

I don't blame CHN if he wants nothing to do with the club. I wouldn't want anything to do with someone who not only threw me under the bus but pissed on my body.

boxer

THE BOSS
Trophy Points
Club still sucking up NRL ass. this should never have happened, would the roosters, storm, or Souths allow this?
And was this greenturds decision to fuck us up before he got the sack.

Trophy Points
Bulldogs have to accept them back now, or look at unfair dismissal cases.

Jaydens CockInWhore will want to think himself VERY lucky on this one. Hope the dope learned a valuable lesson.

CHN will want to take this as a final warning too.

Problem is the club hung them out to dry, so are they really going to want to re-sign with us past their contracts?

Cockinwhore I can take or leave, although I'll take him over Crichton anyday.
CHN would have been handy in recent games, and running alongside Thompson at lock and inside of Foran, there's potential for some magic to happen there.

Harawira-Naera has served all but one game of his 10-match suspension, which also included a $15,000 fine for the New Zealand Test back-rower's "serious breach of the league's code of conduct".
As a result, he will potentially be available for selection for round 11 when the Bulldogs play Newcastle, pending the NRL's biosecurity advice and whether Canterbury add him to the club's 50-person bubble.

Okunbor still has a month to serve on a 14-game ban, with his punishment also including a $22,500 fine and a course of counselling or community service.
The towering winger would be available for round 15 at the earliest.

With their contracts reinstated by head office, as it stands Harawira-Naera is tied to the Bulldogs until the end of 2022 while Okunbor was signed until the end of 2021.

NRL acting CEO Andrew Abdo expressed his disappointment at the reduced punishments.
"The NRL took the action which it considered necessary given the serious breaches of the Code of Conduct – breaches the Appeals Committee also found to be serious," Abdo said.
"The independent appeals committee has taken a different view on what penalty the players should face and although we are disappointed, we respect the outcome."

Oh and meanwhile look the other way on all the other shit from players at other clubs.

What happened to Curtis Scott? Anyone?

Last edited:

BomberBurton

Sending them high in the sky.
Trophy Points
Fuck the NRLoL, they hung these guys out to dry, whilst allowing those facing criminal charges continue to play!
Unforgivable.

Trophy Points
and our club are required to backpay the players wages whilst suspended.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/bu...ave-contracts-reinstated-20200713-p55bng.html

By Adam Pengilly July 13, 2020 — 4.27pm

Bulldogs players Corey Harawira-Naera and Jayden Okunbor will have their contracts back paid after the NRL's appeals committee reversed their sackings over the Port Macquarie schoolgirl sex scandal.

Harawira-Naera and Okunbor will be owed tens of thousands of dollars, and are free to resurrect their NRL careers, under a ruling from an independent body which left the governing body "disappointed".

Canterbury officials on Monday night were weighing up their options with the duo, who were banned indefinitely for having consensual sex with schoolgirls before the club's final pre-season match in Port Macquarie in February. Neither were the subject of any police investigation.

Harawira-Naera could be available for selection as soon as round 11, pending advice about biosecurity protocols. The NRL appeals committee lightened his punishment to a 10-game suspension and a fine of $15,000.

Okunbor will serve a 14-game ban, along with a $22,500 fine, and undergo a course of counselling as directed by interim NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo.

The NRL made little attempt to hide its frustration with the appeals committee's ruling, which will ensure Harawira-Naera and Okunbor are paid their contracts back to April 1 minus their fines and the player-agreed pay cuts this season.

"The NRL took the action which it considered necessary given the serious breaches of the code of conduct - breaches the appeals committee also found to be serious," Abdo said.

"The independent appeals committee has taken a different view on what penalty the players should face and although we are disappointed, we respect the outcome."

The Rugby League Players Association "welcomed" the decision of the appeals committee, chaired by High Court judge Ian Callinan.

"The details of the appeal process should remain confidential and the decision of the committee respected," the RLPA said in a statement.

"An independent appeals process being available to review integrity-related decisions is fundamental to ensuring players are afforded due process and a fair hearing in these matters.

"The RLPA will continue to work with both players, the NRL and the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs regarding their return to training and playing commitments."

NRL are just pissed off they have (once again) been made to look like fools.

BomberBurton

Trophy Points
So the club's getting reamed again for seeking to appease a governing body that despises them?
Yup, "FUCK the NRLoL!" should be our unofficial motto!

Wahesh

Beast by Name, Beast by Nature
Trophy Points
So now because our cockless CEO wanted to be a hero and talk shit/tough we now face a very likely scenario of losing our best, most skilful forward because, you know, we have a thousand of those...

I don't blame CHN if he wants nothing to do with the club. I wouldn't want anything to do with someone who not only threw me under the bus but pissed on my body.
I agree. Technically the club didn't sack him, but they 'supported' the NRL's decision (sucking up to them). I've never been a fan of Hill, and these latest developments don't change that. Sure CHN and JO are idiots for doing what they did, but Hill's best option would've clearly been to STFU. The 3 Wise Monkeys... Hear no evil, see no evil, SPEAK NO EVIL!

Trophy Points
In a statement released to News Corp, Harawira-Naera insisted he wanted to put the matter behind him and concentrate on resuming his career.

“At the outset, I wish to apologise for my conduct,” he said.

“I have, at all times been open and honest with the NRL and the Integrity Unit. I have always admitted that my conduct fell short of the conduct that is required of a person in my position, however the widespread speculation as to what occurred contained many inaccuracies and falsehoods.

“Having said that, I am conscious that there are other people affected by this incident and I do not intend to make further comment about private matters. I am grateful to those who have supported me through this difficult time and I am grateful to the Appeals Committee for the consideration they have given this matter. I accept the penalty that has been imposed.

“The last few months has given me plenty of time to reflect upon my choices and it is now my intention to work hard to resume my playing career. I have a renewed determination to demonstrate that not only am I worthy of playing in the NRL, but that I am also worthy of the opportunity that I now have”

Brent Read is of the illusion the Bulldogs have 3 options up their sleeves, they don't.

They are Bulldogs players and that is that. If we continue to push forth a contract termination for breaching the clubs Code of Conduct, the board won't just be paying Pays payout, but also 2 unfair dismissal cases AND backpay.

We have to take them back, and would be idiots not to.

As for that sponsorship flog, he was never going to sponsor us anyway. Once bitten twice shy there Bulldogs board, he'd already dogged us in the past for Tigers.

BomberBurton

Trophy Points
Rami Ykmour can go fuck himself, twice, with the hoof of a pig, using its blood mixed with alcohol as a lubricant!
Hypocritical lying piece of shit.

BomberBurton

Trophy Points
Mr "I can't open a Bankstown store as they keep 'burning down' " Rashays, i.e. the owner of that flog of a chain.
Supposedly devout Muslim, hiding behind that as his excuse for not serving pork, yet his stores have alcohol on the premises!
Fucking hypocrite!

BomberBurton

Trophy Points
Oh! That guy.

Funny how that works right? Funny how profits are prioritised over beliefs, right?
Might be why every store he's had in Bankstown has burnt down.
Last I recall was next to where Aldi is these days.

Trophy Points
By Adrian Proszenko and Sarah Keoghan
July 15, 2020 — 12.01am

Jayden Okunbor intends to return to the Bulldogs after having his sacking overturned, while Corey Harawira-Naera wants to meet with the club before deciding whether to come back or resume his NRL career elsewhere.

Canterbury are yet to make a definitive decision on the pair, who were deregistered indefinitely after a pre-season incident in Port Macquarie. The termination of their contracts was overturned at the NRL's appeals committee, the first time the governing body’s initial ruling has been altered.

The Bulldogs have the option to terminate their contracts, welcome the players back into the fold or trade them out to other teams. Given the prospect of a legal challenge if they attempted to sack them again, the blue and whites are likely to leave the decision with the players themselves.

Harawira-Naera has been linked to several clubs including the Raiders, Dragons, Roosters, Tigers and Warriors, but may be need to take a pay cut if he were to leave Belmore so late in the season.

Okunbor has also received interest from elsewhere but his priority is to resurrect his career at Canterbury.

Harawira-Naera’s manager, Darryl Mather, said Harawira-Naera wants to speak with Canterbury powerbrokers before making any call on his future.

“It’s my understanding that Corey has been reinstated as a Canterbury employee,” Mather said. “We’ll have discussions with the Bulldogs about how they see his future given the decision that has been made.

Harawira-Naera could be available to interim Canterbury coach Steve Georgallis’ team as soon as next week, while Okunbor still has a month of his suspension to serve.

Bulldogs star Kieran Foran hoped both would remain at the club.

“From my point of view, it would be great to have them back,” Foran said. “They’ve served their time, they’ve obviously ruled that they can be back now. They were teammates of ours, they are teammates of ours. They’d certainly be welcomed back from our point of view.”

The NRL is disappointed its initial sanctions didn’t stand.
“We believe that we were taking the appropriate sanctions,” NRL interim CEO Andrew Abdo said. “It's important, perhaps, to highlight the fact that the decision that we made around the breach of the NRL rules and the code of conduct has been upheld by the appeals committee. This has really been an adjustment of sanction. The appeals committee believes that a sanction that is not a full deregistration was more appropriate and we do respect that, but of course the behaviour that occurred - we don't believe it is in keeping with our values and our standards and that's why we imposed a full deregistration. We will completely respect the process and the players will be free to play following round 11 and 15. That's the way the system works. It will be up to the Bulldogs to decide what they want to do with the players obviously if they decide differently the players are free to make their own decisions around what clubs they want to pursue.”