• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

Technology

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Well my iPad isn't something I can use anymore. It was good for about 5 years then just started lagging - a lot. Now it's just sitting in my desk drawer turned off. The iPhone on the other hand works well and like Android I find the simple interface pretty user friendly. I haven't used Apple computers in a long time though so if I'm to switch now it will take some getting used to.

I remember when I was in college around 2003 they had the iMacs setup in the cafeteria, a transparent pink and teal one that anyone could use. They were hooked up with internet etc... and these are the ones they had the CPU built into the monitor.

These days, they would be slow as a slug, but given their creative/artistic look, they are considered technology antiques and can go for quite a bit of money if in mint condition.

View attachment 1943

View attachment 1944

Oh man it would only take you a second to get used to it again.. their OS hasn't changed much at all tbh and I do like that... it doesn't need to change because it's always been super simple to use.

Hahah wow that's freaking expensive!! would be cool to own but, though I would have to use it at least one time for nostalgia sake.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Actually another thing that needs to be mentioned is memory.. particularly in regards to iMacs. If you're going to market your products for creative work you should at least ensure the lowest ram version of a shipped computer should at least do basic processing at a decent speed.

Wahesh

Beast by Name, Beast by Nature
Trophy Points
Actually another thing that needs to be mentioned is memory.. particularly in regards to iMacs. If you're going to market your products for creative work you should at least ensure the lowest ram version of a shipped computer should at least do basic processing at a decent speed.
It's funny you mention that.

My fiance has a Macbook Pro laptop and just wants a windows PC desktop for her work. She has a program that she uses for work that runs off Windows (she switches her Macbook to Windows mode) but it doesn't work as effectively as an actual Windows computer. With the desktop (or Windows laptop) she can run the program properly and connect an extra monitor or two.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
It's funny you mention that.

My fiance has a Macbook Pro laptop and just wants a windows PC desktop for her work. She has a program that she uses for work that runs off Windows (she switches her Macbook to Windows mode) but it doesn't work as effectively as an actual Windows computer. With the desktop (or Windows laptop) she can run the program properly and connect an extra monitor or two.

That reminds me of when I was at a sign writers office near my place and the lady I dealt with was running Windows on Mac and I couldn't help but think what she would be doing that for but maybe it was for a specific program or maybe she was old school I'm not sure.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
God damn my computer is slow now.. I mean it already was pretty slow. Even just loading up items in system preferences takes an age. Is installing ram relatively easy? Have you upgraded ram for an iMac before? @spiritofaslan

Wahesh

Trophy Points
God damn my computer is slow now.. I mean it already was pretty slow. Even just loading up items in system preferences takes an age. Is installing ram relatively easy? Have you upgraded ram for an iMac before? @spiritofaslan
Oh that's a fair bit out of my level of knowledge lol. I'm going to take a punt here though and say that if you're going to buy RAM for a Mac, it will need to be geniuine Mac parts that you'll probably be charged an arm and a leg for.

I pretty much only use my rig for games and games only to ensure that it continuously runs smoothly, so nothing gets in to slow it down. I have a personal laptop which I don't use anymore as it's so slow, and my work laptop I use for work, and to an extent some personal web surfing on safe sites.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Oh that's a fair bit out of my level of knowledge lol. I'm going to take a punt here though and say that if you're going to buy RAM for a Mac, it will need to be geniuine Mac parts that you'll probably be charged an arm and a leg for.

I pretty much only use my rig for games and games only to ensure that it continuously runs smoothly, so nothing gets in to slow it down. I have a personal laptop which I don't use anymore as it's so slow, and my work laptop I use for work, and to an extent some personal web surfing on safe sites.

Yeah definitely bro anything hardware related I wouldn't take a chance with.. I suppose it's not too bad as it's not something I buy all the time and I can put it on tax.

That's another good thing about Mac is it takes something very insidious to bring them down. I'm not sure how it is with Windows computers these days but I remember so many instances of blue screens in the past. I'm still thinking about getting a new laptop myself though as it would be nice just to have my desktop computer solely for work.

Wahesh

Trophy Points
Yeah definitely bro anything hardware related I wouldn't take a chance with.. I suppose it's not too bad as it's not something I buy all the time and I can put it on tax.

That's another good thing about Mac is it takes something very insidious to bring them down. I'm not sure how it is with Windows computers these days but I remember so many instances of blue screens in the past. I'm still thinking about getting a new laptop myself though as it would be nice just to have my desktop computer solely for work.
Will you be going for a Mac laptop or Windows? I'm not sure what the new Mac laptops are retailing for these days, but the windows ones (for general use, nothing high-end) can be purchased for under $500 from retailers such as JB. I find it rather odd that JB can compete with the little Asians shops which will sell basic laptops for a similar minimal price.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Will you be going for a Mac laptop or Windows? I'm not sure what the new Mac laptops are retailing for these days, but the windows ones (for general use, nothing high-end) can be purchased for under $500 from retailers such as JB. I find it rather odd that JB can compete with the little Asians shops which will sell basic laptops for a similar minimal price.

I'll probably go Windows hey for price and also I figure if it's just general use it shouldn't crash. I suppose the thing about JB is people liking physically going to the store; it's like a toy store for adults lol

Trophy Points
Should be fairly straight forwards. Normally a few screws and a cover slides off.

https://www.ifixit.com/Search?query=imac

Just ensure you get the right RAM for it. I'd go to like Corsair or Kingston website and find the exact model number required.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Should be fairly straight forwards. Normally a few screws and a cover slides off.

https://www.ifixit.com/Search?query=imac

Just ensure you get the right RAM for it. I'd go to like Corsair or Kingston website and find the exact model number required.

Thanks mate, I'll have a look into it.. Apple have changed a few things and it seems general usage even requires a bit more ram now.. eg something as simple as loading items in system preferences can lag. Frustrating. Thankfully I'm not using Creative Cloud as much these days!

Wahesh

Trophy Points
I'll probably go Windows hey for price and also I figure if it's just general use it shouldn't crash. I suppose the thing about JB is people liking physically going to the store; it's like a toy store for adults lol
Yeah I know mate. About 10 years ago. About 10 years ago I fantasised about buying one of those Alienware gaming laptops, but I couldn't justify paying $4000 for a laptop simply because it had a light-up LED keyboard, and on top of that, I'm not a big gamer.

Those things were (and still are) pretty heavy. You're better off buying a custom gaming rig for less than half the price.

1650930134211.png

Attachments

• 1650930053520.png
    1650930053520.png
    417.5 KB · Views: 0

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Yeah I know mate. About 10 years ago. About 10 years ago I fantasised about buying one of those Alienware gaming laptops, but I couldn't justify paying $4000 for a laptop simply because it had a light-up LED keyboard, and on top of that, I'm not a big gamer.

Those things were (and still are) pretty heavy. You're better off buying a custom gaming rig for less than half the price.

View attachment 1954

Be alright if you were a pro or competing in tournaments or something, but yeah otherwise hard to justify. I'm not a big spender when it comes to tech but I will always ensure I have a good quality computer for work because I mean it makes a difference productivity wise.

Wahesh

Trophy Points
Be alright if you were a pro or competing in tournaments or something, but yeah otherwise hard to justify. I'm not a big spender when it comes to tech but I will always ensure I have a good quality computer for work because I mean it makes a difference productivity wise.
100% mate.

I remember once years ago I had an old HP computer that I used for about 3 years straight. It was actually given to me already used by another staff member, but as I was only using it for System Administration work, it was ok. I did get to a point though where it was painfully slow to use. I asked for a new one, and the Manager ran a warranty check on my PC and it was well past it's warranty date. They ordered a new one for me, and it came damaged. Still usable, but damaged.

I was out the door a few weeks later...

Wahesh

Trophy Points
I actually remember this other time where I was moved to a team to work on a project. The Director of that team wanted to give me a laptop that had all these great bells and whistles - not that I needed it though as I was mainly going to be using Chrome and Excel. The job itself was something I was looking forward to and I was glad I was going to be able to work at my own pace etc - but the only problem I had with it was this great new laptop was already used by someone. It came to me, I opened it up, and saw finger prints all over the screen and keyboard. Yuck!

Anyway, for some reason, the role I was currently in (a week before my move) the Executive Director received a brand new 'spare' laptop that there for the sake of it. I already had the used laptop in my possession and just started using it, and I thought, why on Earth should I inherit a used laptop when there's a brand spanking new one there that no one is using? So (being the first one in the office every morning), I came in and immediately went into the ED's office, and did the old switcheroo.

No one ever found out.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I actually remember this other time where I was moved to a team to work on a project. The Director of that team wanted to give me a laptop that had all these great bells and whistles - not that I needed it though as I was mainly going to be using Chrome and Excel. The job itself was something I was looking forward to and I was glad I was going to be able to work at my own pace etc - but the only problem I had with it was this great new laptop was already used by someone. It came to me, I opened it up, and saw finger prints all over the screen and keyboard. Yuck!

Anyway, for some reason, the role I was currently in (a week before my move) the Executive Director received a brand new 'spare' laptop that there for the sake of it. I already had the used laptop in my possession and just started using it, and I thought, why on Earth should I inherit a used laptop when there's a brand spanking new one there that no one is using? So (being the first one in the office every morning), I came in and immediately went into the ED's office, and did the old switcheroo.

No one ever found out.

Bahaha the old switcheroo. Love it.. I've actually heard quite a few stories of people coping old computers and one thing that I would hate is copping a filthy keyboard... I'd have to consider using the laptop as a monitor and buying a wireless keyboard

Wahesh

Trophy Points
Bahaha the old switcheroo. Love it.. I've actually heard quite a few stories of people coping old computers and one thing that I would hate is copping a filthy keyboard... I'd have to consider using the laptop as a monitor and buying a wireless keyboard
Exactly right mate. The good thing about WFH is that we can all use our own hardware peripherals. I've noticed however since about 2018/19 that companies are starting to issue wireless keyboard/mouse combos as people start hot desking. In my current role, we have lockers in the office which we can store our wireless peripherals in, and simply get them when we come into the office - then at home just use our personal ones. So much more convenient.

I remember once I went overseas for 5 weeks on a holiday (years before WFH came in) and we all had desktop computers back then. I was someone who took pride in my workstation and kept it clean and tidy at all times. The bloke who worked next to me though was the complete opposite. This guy would always each lunch at his desk and surf the internet at the same time. His keyboard had so much food on it, it was filthy. I returned from leave and found my clean keyboard was suddenly filthy. I looked over at his desk and saw a clean keyboard. The silly bugger thought he could fool me and did a switcheroo. Back then I got in before him though so switched it back lol.

Trophy Points

View attachment 1954
They were not very reliable either.

Used to have a couple of them at my last employer (bought before I got there) and they were pretty hit and miss. Ran hot as hell, noisy as anything, and as such rather unreliable.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Exactly right mate. The good thing about WFH is that we can all use our own hardware peripherals. I've noticed however since about 2018/19 that companies are starting to issue wireless keyboard/mouse combos as people start hot desking. In my current role, we have lockers in the office which we can store our wireless peripherals in, and simply get them when we come into the office - then at home just use our personal ones. So much more convenient.

I remember once I went overseas for 5 weeks on a holiday (years before WFH came in) and we all had desktop computers back then. I was someone who took pride in my workstation and kept it clean and tidy at all times. The bloke who worked next to me though was the complete opposite. This guy would always each lunch at his desk and surf the internet at the same time. His keyboard had so much food on it, it was filthy. I returned from leave and found my clean keyboard was suddenly filthy. I looked over at his desk and saw a clean keyboard. The silly bugger thought he could fool me and did a switcheroo. Back then I got in before him though so switched it back lol.

Haha that's hilarious.. Oscar the Grouch thought he could pull a swift one on ya.. it's worse with the iMac keyboards because they're white so any filth shows up on them. I try not to eat at the computer but can't help it sometimes if I'm flat stick.. If I was working in an office I'd be getting outdoors on break time though that's for sure!

Wahesh

Trophy Points
Haha that's hilarious.. Oscar the Grouch thought he could pull a swift one on ya.. it's worse with the iMac keyboards because they're white so any filth shows up on them. I try not to eat at the computer but can't help it sometimes if I'm flat stick.. If I was working in an office I'd be getting outdoors on break time though that's for sure!
I'm with you there bro. When I was working in the 'blue ribbon' area of the city (Circular Quay, Martin Place) I used to always go for a walk during lunchtime without fail -- provided it was extremely hot or pouring. I just enjoyed walking to Pitt St. Mall, in around the arcades there (Imperial Arcade, R.I.P.) The Strand, Westfield Centrepoint, Myer etc... especially on Friday's, it just had the positive vibe to it.

Just on the Imperial Arcade, I remember I used to frequent it all the time before Westfield bought it and redeveloped it. I used to go to EB games there (bought a copy of Rugby League 2 back in 2005 lol), and not too far away from that was a Strathfield Car Radios franchise, where I purchased my first MP3 player, however the one place I used to frequent the most without fail was EzyDVD. I purchased dozens of DVDs from that shop for about 2-3 years. I remember walking through it in 2008 when all the shops were closing for the redevelopment and it was strange and eerie - and arcade in the heart of the city that was dead, void of almost anyone. All the shops shutters were down, maybe 4 or 5 were still open but only days away from closure.