• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

Technology

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Have you tried blasting away your cache and resetting your browser settings?

Maybe something changed regarding like script or java blocking and has neutered Chrome.

actually no, but I did the old "have you tried turning it off and on again" trick, and while it didn't work the first time it seems to be ok now. If it screws up again I'll do the above!

On another note, I changed numbers a few months ago and forgot I had a Gmail 2fa synced with the old number, so it's going to be a damn nightmare trying to get back into that email account!

Wahesh

Beast by Name, Beast by Nature
Trophy Points
I'm looking at getting into Cyber Security and I'm just blown away with the amount of free cyber security courses you can do online to help get 1 foot in the door. I'll be doing some over the coming weeks.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I'm looking at getting into Cyber Security and I'm just blown away with the amount of free cyber security courses you can do online to help get 1 foot in the door. I'll be doing some over the coming weeks.

There's probably a shitload of tutorials and what not on YouTube as well.. I used to get on there for that purpose.. I was never looking to go deep into that field or anything like that, but the more knowledge the better.

Wahesh

Trophy Points
There's probably a shitload of tutorials and what not on YouTube as well.. I used to get on there for that purpose.. I was never looking to go deep into that field or anything like that, but the more knowledge the better.
Yeah I've found a few online provided by companies such as Cybrary and what have you that provide certificates so they're pretty cool, and you can do them at your own pace. I'm doing one right now.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Yeah I've found a few online provided by companies such as Cybrary and what have you that provide certificates so they're pretty cool, and you can do them at your own pace. I'm doing one right now.

Yeah nice! Mr Aslan taught me some fundamentals when I started getting into web properly, and I just took what he showed me and built upon it.. I definitely am no expert but what I have learned so far has come in handy.. I mostly use WordPress so i never really rub into any major trouble.

Are you just learning for personal use, or are you thinking of maybe pursuing a role in cyber security at some stage?

Wahesh

Trophy Points
Yeah nice! Mr Aslan taught me some fundamentals when I started getting into web properly, and I just took what he showed me and built upon it.. I definitely am no expert but what I have learned so far has come in handy.. I mostly use WordPress so i never really rub into any major trouble.

Are you just learning for personal use, or are you thinking of maybe pursuing a role in cyber security at some stage?
Definitely looking at getting in Cyber Security at some stage. I was almost successful in an interview earlier this year, however I got put on the talent pool as a result. Then following on from that talent pool I have another interview just recently. I came 2nd in that one as well, and they decided to go with someone who had studied it, so I thought I might as well do some study as well. Hey, if it doesn't work out the only thing I've lost is my time.

Last edited:
Trophy Points
Tricky industry because it's so diverse these days. But if Optus / Medibank Private have showed society anything, it's that there is a BIG gap in cyber security that needs plugging in Australia.

Problem is, depending on what facet of CS you are looking to get into, you normally need extensive networking or programming backgrounds in order to get a foot in the door.

I looked into it (at depth), but in the end realised it'd be like trying to climb Mt Everest, backwards, and blindfolded.

PluralSight is a good resource, as is the one you mentioned, as is Trainsignals/CBTNuggets.

Security+ is probably the first industry certificate worth aiming for, as some are not actually recognised in the industry.

Then depending on what specific offshoot you want to work in, you'll need to look into either:
+ CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker) - for looking into system vulnerabilities and exploits.
+ CISSP (Certified Information Systems Security Professional) - as a base industry wide respected certification.
+ CISM (Certified Information Security Manager) - if you want to look into a CISO roll looking after the cyber security for an organisation.
+ CISA (Certified Information Security Auditor) - if you want to look into auditing, pen testing, incident response, etc etc.

Theres also GIAC (Global Information Assurance Certification), but I haven't done much looking into that. That's the gold standard though in cyber security certification as far as I'm aware.

So if you really wanted to go big in the industry you'd probably go: Security+ > CISSP > CISM/CISA > GIAC

Then you'd be able to command your salary range.

Wahesh

Trophy Points
Tricky industry because it's so diverse these days. But if Optus / Medibank Private have showed society anything, it's that there is a BIG gap in cyber security that needs plugging in Australia.

Problem is, depending on what facet of CS you are looking to get into, you normally need extensive networking or programming backgrounds in order to get a foot in the door.

I looked into it (at depth), but in the end realised it'd be like trying to climb Mt Everest, backwards, and blindfolded.

PluralSight is a good resource, as is the one you mentioned, as is Trainsignals/CBTNuggets.

Security+ is probably the first industry certificate worth aiming for, as some are not actually recognised in the industry.

Then depending on what specific offshoot you want to work in, you'll need to look into either:
+ CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker) - for looking into system vulnerabilities and exploits.
+ CISSP (Certified Information Systems Security Professional) - as a base industry wide respected certification.
+ CISM (Certified Information Security Manager) - if you want to look into a CISO roll looking after the cyber security for an organisation.
+ CISA (Certified Information Security Auditor) - if you want to look into auditing, pen testing, incident response, etc etc.

Theres also GIAC (Global Information Assurance Certification), but I haven't done much looking into that. That's the gold standard though in cyber security certification as far as I'm aware.

So if you really wanted to go big in the industry you'd probably go: Security+ > CISSP > CISM/CISA > GIAC

Then you'd be able to command your salary range.
Yep the course I did today via Cybrary did recommend all of those, and they also spoke about the types of roles and duties that come from certain areas within Cyber Security.

I guess the best thing to do to try and break into the industry is work in an entry-level role and then get industry experience from there and progress. There was mention of no experience or level or qualifications required in some areas, it just depends on what you want to do. I mean it can even branch off into areas such as data analytics and network administration - it just depends. I have worked as a Systems Administrator though and had over 6 years experience in this role working in a data centre environment.

Working a Systems Administrator in a Cyber Security organisation without the hassle of a data centre would be awesome. I hated having to travel to Global Switch everyday in Pyrmont, it was a 20 minute walk from Central Station.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Definitely looking at getting in Cyber Security at some stage. I was almost successful in an interview earlier this year, however I got put on the talent pool as a result. Then following on from that talent pool I have another interview just recently. I came 2nd in that one as well, and they decided to go with someone who had studied it, so I thought I might as well do some study as well. Hey, if it doesn't work out the only thing I've lost is my time.

ahh true.. would be a pretty cool field to work in I reckon.. I kinda wish I went the tech route when I was younger.. I only ever dipped my feet until recently but I just don't have the effort to push it further than developing relatively simple websites (bar WordPress)..

Yeah true but I think it's still a good skillset and good knowledge to have either way, I mean we do use tech every day.. if not for yourself you might end up being able to help other's.. I suppose it will just come down to yourself and how far you want to go with it, because there never seems to be a shortage of those types of jobs on offer!

Trophy Points
Yep the course I did today via Cybrary did recommend all of those, and they also spoke about the types of roles and duties that come from certain areas within Cyber Security.

I guess the best thing to do to try and break into the industry is work in an entry-level role and then get industry experience from there and progress. There was mention of no experience or level or qualifications required in some areas, it just depends on what you want to do. I mean it can even branch off into areas such as data analytics and network administration - it just depends. I have worked as a Systems Administrator though and had over 6 years experience in this role working in a data centre environment.

Working a Systems Administrator in a Cyber Security organisation without the hassle of a data centre would be awesome. I hated having to travel to Global Switch everyday in Pyrmont, it was a 20 minute walk from Central Station.
Absolutely right.

IT is so broad these days, makes it impossible to be an IT Generalist though.

Wahesh

Trophy Points
You know what... even USB's still fascinate me. Remember how frustrating it was when you would stick a USB mouse or keyboard into your computer, and it wouldn't kick in straight away? Now that problem doesn't really exist. Sometimes there might be a slight lag when using it for the first time, but most of the time it will install the driver within seconds and you're away.

Really amazing.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
You know what... even USB's still fascinate me. Remember how frustrating it was when you would stick a USB mouse or keyboard into your computer, and it wouldn't kick in straight away? Now that problem doesn't really exist. Sometimes there might be a slight lag when using it for the first time, but most of the time it will install the driver within seconds and you're away.

Really amazing.

Having drivers on a server is also a game changer.. like for example in the old days if you buy a piece of hardware and the cd doesn't load up or is incompatible with your computer for some reason.

But yeah, having something the size of a thumb that can store more data than an original PC is pretty crazy.

Wahesh

Trophy Points
Having drivers on a server is also a game changer.. like for example in the old days if you buy a piece of hardware and the cd doesn't load up or is incompatible with your computer for some reason.

But yeah, having something the size of a thumb that can store more data than an original PC is pretty crazy.
I remember a couple of years ago I was doing legal work. Basically, I was a project officer doing mainly ICT work, but I needed to upload legal files onto our server, then have the form of media destroyed. So we got heaps of CDs and DVDs with files on them, and needed to have them destroyed (shredded, incinerated etc...) after the files were uploaded given how sensitive they were. Anyway, one legal firm decided to send me not 1, but 2 64gb USB flash drives. Both drives had exactly the same info on them, and they sent me 2 in case one was damaged or not working. I uploaded the info onto the server. Then I couldn't see myself tossing out these flash drives. For goodness sake, they're 64gb EACH. So I did the moral thing - I formatted both of them. Bang, now the data on them was completely wiped and the info was as good as shredded... however I left with 2 awesome flash drives :D

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I remember a couple of years ago I was doing legal work. Basically, I was a project officer doing mainly ICT work, but I needed to upload legal files onto our server, then have the form of media destroyed. So we got heaps of CDs and DVDs with files on them, and needed to have them destroyed (shredded, incinerated etc...) after the files were uploaded given how sensitive they were. Anyway, one legal firm decided to send me not 1, but 2 64gb USB flash drives. Both drives had exactly the same info on them, and they sent me 2 in case one was damaged or not working. I uploaded the info onto the server. Then I couldn't see myself tossing out these flash drives. For goodness sake, they're 64gb EACH. So I did the moral thing - I formatted both of them. Bang, now the data on them was completely wiped and the info was as good as shredded... however I left with 2 awesome flash drives :D

Haha. Well of course... you can never have too many!

Wahesh

Trophy Points
Haha. Well of course... you can never have too many!
I have an old sunglasses case full of them. That' still not enough though lol - anytime I see a discarded one somewhere, I welcome it into my arms :)

The very first one I had was in 2003. It was 128mb (lol) and cost $70.

Anyway, in college they told us to bring in 10 floppy disks. Instead, I brought that in and created 10 folders within it called "disk 1, disk 2, disk 3" etc... and used it. Students and even the teachers hadn't see it before and were very impressed by it. Within a month most of the class had one lol.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I have an old sunglasses case full of them. That' still not enough though lol - anytime I see a discarded one somewhere, I welcome it into my arms :)

The very first one I had was in 2003. It was 128mb (lol) and cost $70.

Anyway, in college they told us to bring in 10 floppy disks. Instead, I brought that in and created 10 folders within it called "disk 1, disk 2, disk 3" etc... and used it. Students and even the teachers hadn't see it before and were very impressed by it. Within a month most of the class had one lol.

haha. Yeah I try to keep a few at all times as you will never know when you need it, plus it's good to have multiple copies of important documents like your old work did... I generally have stuff on Google Drive/Adobe Cloud, desktop, and USB.

haha.. "what is this wizardry".. it's always interesting looking back to when game changing software or hardware was introduced. I mean, I suppose it's a common occurrence these days.

Wahesh

Trophy Points
haha. Yeah I try to keep a few at all times as you will never know when you need it, plus it's good to have multiple copies of important documents like your old work did... I generally have stuff on Google Drive/Adobe Cloud, desktop, and USB.

haha.. "what is this wizardry".. it's always interesting looking back to when game changing software or hardware was introduced. I mean, I suppose it's a common occurrence these days.
Yep - even Microsoft Teams. Even though it's more of an office-based program, whoever invented or thought of the concept of Teams is a genius, however, there is no doubt that data recovery/backup companies hate them lol. To think you can store everything on Teams these days is awesome. You don't need backup software, backup hardware, restore processes, secure off-site backup tape companies (like Recall/Iron Mountain and CommVault) - just put everything on Teams.

I'm pretty sure there is no storage limit, or it's something ridiculously high that you won't ever fill.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Yep - even Microsoft Teams. Even though it's more of an office-based program, whoever invented or thought of the concept of Teams is a genius, however, there is no doubt that data recovery/backup companies hate them lol. To think you can store everything on Teams these days is awesome. You don't need backup software, backup hardware, restore processes, secure off-site backup tape companies (like Recall/Iron Mountain and CommVault) - just put everything on Teams.

I'm pretty sure there is no storage limit, or it's something ridiculously high that you won't ever fill.

Well that was random, I'd never heard of Microsoft teams before today and after reading this I got a call about entering a Microsoft team for work! I figure it's similar to Google Workspace which I've used a couple of times. But that's good to know anyway.

Wahesh

Trophy Points
Well that was random, I'd never heard of Microsoft teams before today and after reading this I got a call about entering a Microsoft team for work! I figure it's similar to Google Workspace which I've used a couple of times. But that's good to know anyway.
Gee's mate, I got you right in the nick of time lol. Teams is good for storage purposes, but you can also chat, send emails, make phone calls, host conference calls, share files and present (screen sharing) among lots of other stuff too.