• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

The Coaching Megathread

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Trophy Points
Just had a thought..

Wonder if Toovey would be interested in getting involved as a head or assistant coach?

Flanno, Tooves and Dymock would be a pretty decent team I reckon.

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
dont think Dymock would come back after they shafted him from taking over the coaching last time but he was certainly agood defensive coach . Toovey may have been a good half in his time but it doesnt make him a good coach .
Flannagan now there is a different perspective. Good luck to Potter if by some miracle he can turn them around perhaps they might even sign Potter up as permanent coach and forget the rest.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
The only issue with Dymock is that he is defensive coach for a team who are not much better defensively than the Dogs.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Ennis giving a huge backing to Shane Flanagan for the role.. Gus also has a good relationship with him so hopefully he wants the job and hopefully the club want him.

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
someone had better make a decision fast get rid of JMK too slow service again and Jackson useless again

BomberBurton

Sending them high in the sky.
Trophy Points
We owe nothing more to the Dogs Four.
Pay and Dymock had their chances as coaches, more than they deserved after their super league antics, yet most folks for some reason forget them shafting us for NRL.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points

‘If he wasn’t the best halfback he wouldn’t play’: Shane Flanagan addresses elephant in the room as Bulldogs call looms​

Premiership-winning coach Shane Flanagan believes he could “without a doubt’’ could get the best out of his son and Bulldogs halfback Kyle.

Flanagan has thrown his hat in the ring for the Canterbury head coaching role left vacant after Trent Barrett fell on his sword last week.

Kyle made his NRL debut playing for his father at the Sharks in 2018, before a highly-publicised stint at the Roosters in 2020.

Canterbury signed Kyle last year but he only made 13 appearances and barely trained with the first-grade side over the summer.

The 23-year-old was eventually picked in Round 5 to face the reigning premiers Penrith and has held his spot since, chalking up one win against the Roosters in Round 8.

Flanagan told the Fox League Podcast there are several factors contributing to his son playing below his best since arriving at Belmore.

“What’s happened over the last 12 or 18 months hasn’t been great for Kyle,” Flanagan said.

“And that’s criticising no one, it’s just the circumstances that he was in. He didn’t play half of last year and didn’t get the start this year and he lost a lot of his confidence.

Former Sharks coach Shane Flanagan and his son Kyle.

Former Sharks coach Shane Flanagan and his son Kyle.

“He’s a lot better football player than he’s shown now. He’s was always one of those elite kids coming through the grades. A prolific point scorer, tries and goals.

“He’s got some holes in his game without a doubt that he needs to work hard on, I’m just not sure he’s getting that at training at the moment.

“There’s more bigger picture stuff happening there. A lot of the players at the Bulldogs aren’t playing well at the moment.”

Flanagan was optimistic about Kyle’s move to the Bulldogs under Barrett but conceded it just “didn’t work out”.

“I think I can help him in a big way. I’ve coached him before at the Sharks, he was there for two years,” he said.

“I gave him his debut jumper. He knows better than me that he’s got to be the best halfback in the club to play first grade. And that’s the way I'd pick it, if he wasn’t the best halfback he wouldn’t play.”

Flanagan said the systems at the Dogs hadn’t suited his son’s attacking style, and that he kept his distance when Kyle was at the Roosters.

“I’ve been really conscious, especially when he went to the Roosters, to try and not to coach him, because he had a really good coach in Robbo there and I didn’t know what Robbo was talking to him daily about doing, so I stayed out of it,” he said.

“I was disappointed when he got dropped because there wasn’t a lot of reason behind it but I’ve always stayed out of trying to coach Kyle and give him tips on how he’s going to play.

“I’d say whether he played poorly or good in my view, but I never coached him during the week. Robbo is a fantastic coach and they had Cooper (Cronk) there and I’m sure he was getting ample information, so I just stayed out of it.

“When he went to the Bulldogs I thought it would be a great move for him there with Trent being a halfback, but it just didn’t work out.”

The NRL360 panel discussed Flanagan’s interview with the Daily Telegraph’s Paul Crawley questioning whether he could make the tough call on his son.

“Is his son Kyle going to be the long-term answer there and if Kyle doesn’t work out next year how does the conversation go when you get home and you say ‘son you’re on your bike’,” he asked.

“There are concerns over Kyle and how he’s gone at the Bulldogs. I will say the Bulldogs’ treatment of Flanagan has been disgraceful in my opinion.

“But the problem for Flanno is that he says (Kyle) is not being coached right now but was he being coached right at the Roosters? Because they made a similar judgement. They took him there to be their long-term halfback, after 12 months they pulled the pin.

Paul Kent, however, said Flanagan was “mature” enough to handle the situation.

“If Kyle is not hitting the marks, Shane is smart enough to say ‘you’re not doing the job’. He will either find a way to get him to do the job or he will go elsewhere
“It’s also Shane’s career. He doesn’t get a third go if he fails at Canterbury.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...c655b584b04064abfb95d8397f?recommendedCount=0

Trophy Points
Sign him up now, sack Sandercock and Furner, and get him working as an assistant this year to Potter, and taking over the reigns next year.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I hope Gus knows who he wants because the Titans will be looking for a new coach real soon after that effort tonight.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
You think they'll axe Holbrook?

Holbrook will be the next coach to go i reckon after that capitulation

This season has been an absolute disaster for them, particularly as they had the easiest draw of all the teams.

I also think the Titans board will have a closer look into last year because although they did make the 8, the teams below them were very poor, and they also did get pumped in half of their games.. I reckon Paul Green will be their coach next year.

I think Holbrook's approach is all about being flashy but not enough emphasis on earning the right, and defending it.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
So it's looking like Madge will be gone this week, meanwhile Nathan Brown is not committed to living in NZ.

Trophy Points
So it's looking like Madge will be gone this week, meanwhile Nathan Brown is not committed to living in NZ.
Madge and Tigers reckon he is safe.

I do feel sorry for Warriors (how players and staff are abandoning them because they dont want to move oversease, but keen to see what Stacey Jones can do with the side.

I reckon he'll do well.

Cue the "Nathan Brown to Dogs" rumours.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Madge and Tigers reckon he is safe.

I do feel sorry for Warriors (how players and staff are abandoning them because they dont want to move oversease, but keen to see what Stacey Jones can do with the side.

I reckon he'll do well.

Cue the "Nathan Brown to Dogs" rumours.

Cue? Some boneheads on other forums are already discussing it lol.

To be fair I reckon Browny knows he is gone and just isn't going to bother relocating away from his family only to return before the end of the year. I doubt even he realised how bad it was going to get.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
So Browny and Madge both gone in one day.

I definitely think we spooked at least one of those clubs into action

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
all confirmed McGuire goes today . You see if Wests dont pick up Brown or Flanagan and we get left with oh dear McGuire. always the dregs because Phil Gould has an ego problem