• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

The Coaching Megathread

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
all confirmed McGuire goes today . You see if Wests dont pick up Brown or Flanagan and we get left with oh dear McGuire. always the dregs because Phil Gould has an ego problem
watch things happen now. or maybe next year or maybe never

Trophy Points
So Browny and Madge both gone in one day.

I definitely think we spooked at least one of those clubs into action
hahah yeah pretty timely given my last comment.

Could be a blessing as this might force the club to act (and announce) fast.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I feel like Potter could be a decent transition coach for a couple of years if they can kick on from today's performance.. since he's taken over we've gotten better with each game.

Bar what happened at the Tigers his coaching record ain't bad but of course it's all been in the Super League. But what's noticeable is that the teams he coached either stayed as competitive as they were (St Helens), or improved, most significant is Catalans. Under Potter they went from 12th in their first Super League season to 3rd in their third season (his final season there).

Last edited:

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Everything goes shit faced at the Tigers so we discount that but It is true they have improved over three games with him so i was only thinking the same thing about Potter. The first indications were he didnt want the full time position with the dogs just to help them out but I wonder maybe they need to seriously talk to him again.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
They might be just letting him go with little pressure and monitoring the situation.. It could be true that they're not in a rush like Gus says given there isn't a lot of quality on the market.. the next 4-6 weeks will be a true indicator of where we're at, but that effort yesterday was our best team performance in years.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Sounding like Andrew Webster will be announced as the Warriors coach. That came out of left field

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Yeah that is unexpected.

Read a news article today suggesting that Flanno might be the Tigers target for coach.

Yeah there's also talk of John Morris joining the Tigs. I'm getting a bit worried because outside of Flanno, Ciraldo who is an unknown, and maybe Woolf, I'm just not sure if any of the other possible candidates are the way to go.

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Yeah there's also talk of John Morris joining the Tigs. I'm getting a bit worried because outside of Flanno, Ciraldo who is an unknown, and maybe Woolf, I'm just not sure if any of the other possible candidates are the way to go.
The longer the dogs fart around for a coach the chances are we shall end up with nothing so get on with it dogs management or suffer the wrath yet again of your supporters that hold this club together. they are getting like politicians do nothing and you cant be accused of anything yet do nothing and one asks why on earth they are there in the first place.

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Sorry guys i have not been around for a week but last week on thursday night i fell foul to a heart attack and ended up in hospital with a stent inserted to replace a blocked artery. Well done surgeons, doctors and nursing staff for treating me well and saving my life. Back home again now but reminding myself to keep calm when watching the dogs play in future irrespective of whenever they win or lose.

Trophy Points
Sorry guys i have not been around for a week but last week on thursday night i fell foul to a heart attack and ended up in hospital with a stent inserted to replace a blocked artery. Well done surgeons, doctors and nursing staff for treating me well and saving my life. Back home again now but reminding myself to keep calm when watching the dogs play in future irrespective of whenever they win or lose.
Ouch...

Rest up and take care of yourself.

Maybe watching on delayed telecast or catch up after the game (like I do) is a better option !

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points

We have some brilliant people in our hospitals.

All the best mate hope that's the last occurrence!

BomberBurton

Sending them high in the sky.
Trophy Points
Glad you're still with us mate.
Get well.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
The battle for the NRLs most in demand coach is set to explode in the coming weeks with Cameron Ciraldo tossing up offers from three clubs.
Phil Gould has sat back and said next to nothing for the past month as he searches for a new coach to replace Trent Barrett.
But the hunt for the NRL’s most wanted coach-in-waiting could soon ignite a post-Origin tug of war, with the Bulldogs not only back in the fight but emerging as favourites to sign Cameron Ciraldo.
And in a twist that will have other rival coaches also looking nervously over their shoulders, Ciraldo could end up having the pick of at least three jobs in the coming months if he decides to ride out the remainder of the season before making a final decision.
This is despite Ivan Cleary’s highly rated assistant edging closer to a contract extension at Penrith.
Even if that eventuates, Ciraldo will have a clause allowing him to take up a rival offer if he makes the call before November 1.
That gives interested clubs just over three months to make a play for the most wanted young coach in the game.
It is understood once Ciraldo commits to Penrith for next season he won’t walk out on the deal.
But in what’s shaping up as a potential end-of-season coaching bloodbath, jobs at Gold Coast, Newcastle and Parramatta could all still come up for negotiation.

WILL CIRALDO BE GOULD’S LASTING LEGACY AT DOGS?

Heading the chase to get a deal done sooner rather than later is Canterbury’s general manager of football, with the talk around the game that Gould is growing in confidence that he will get his No.1 target.
Unlike Wests Tigers who put out a weird statement recently confirming Ciraldo had knocked them back, Gould has given nothing away despite Ciraldo’s name being constantly linked to the club.
Insiders are quietly confident a final decision could come within a matter of weeks although, as usual, Gould is keeping everyone guessing, even internally.
Only chairman John Khoury and chief executive Aaron Warburton are said to be privy to discussions, with the rest of the board also in the dark.
While the Bulldogs head coaching position is still considered a sizeable risk for an untested head coach, recent changes to the Bulldogs’ football club board were specifically orchestrated to try and make club politics less volatile and thus more appealing to Ciraldo.
The appointment of businessman Adam Driussi — co-founder of data analytics firm Quantium that last year sold a majority stake to Woolworths for a reported $223 million — along with Paul Polly is seen as a strategic move, while Jim Koutsouklakis remains on the Leagues Club board as deputy chairman.
Gould himself doesn’t have a great history when it comes to coaches seeing out their contracts under his guidance, although he played a significant part in Ciraldo’s early development at Penrith.
So there is a genuine belief this could develop into Gould’s lasting legacy at the Dogs if he gets his man and Ciraldo turns out to be the coach many think he will be.
There is still a view Ciraldo may ultimately decide against taking the job given there is still a fair bit of heavy lifting to come before Canterbury is back on safe ground.
For that reason it would not surprise to see Mick Potter remain at the helm for another season, although Ciraldo’s future is key to how this plays out.

May be an image of 1 person

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
There's too much over exaggeration in regards to Penrith moving coaches on while Gus was there. They were in a premiership window, we're looking to get back in the hunt.

Ciraldo would have to do worse than TBaz to not at least get a few seasons with no pressure.

BomberBurton

Sending them high in the sky.
Trophy Points
West apparently going with Benji and Robbie as his assistant!!!

Trophy Points
Sheens confirmed with Benji and Farrah as Asst Coaches. Can't see that marriage ending well!

On a side note, I'm really unsure about Panthers assistants anymore. Barrett was meant to be the architect behind Panthers revival, and now it's Ciraldo. But the thing is, Panthers players have grown up from HG Matts/SG Ball/Juniors and manyplayed together. Their style of play doesn't suit every team (as Barrett found out), and that's why I think appointing Ciraldo could just be history repeating itself.

We need to get away from the whole idea of trying to be Panthers v2.0.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Sheens confirmed with Benji and Farrah as Asst Coaches. Can't see that marriage ending well!

On a side note, I'm really unsure about Panthers assistants anymore. Barrett was meant to be the architect behind Panthers revival, and now it's Ciraldo. But the thing is, Panthers players have grown up from HG Matts/SG Ball/Juniors and manyplayed together. Their style of play doesn't suit every team (as Barrett found out), and that's why I think appointing Ciraldo could just be history repeating itself.

We need to get away from the whole idea of trying to be Panthers v2.0.

No disrespect to Ciraldo or Ivan, they do a good job, but you're right, that squad is a force. I dunno I still wish we'd give Shane a crack, the bloke has copped his medicine.