• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

The Coaching Megathread

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Trophy Points
Could it be possible we are about to see Flanno, with Potter and Ciraldo as assistants, and they aren't annoucing it until all the pieces of puzzle fit together nicely?

Tangata-Toa meanwhile concentrates on NSW Cup and transitional coach?

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Could it be possible we are about to see Flanno, with Potter and Ciraldo as assistants, and they aren't annoucing it until all the pieces of puzzle fit together nicely?

Tangata-Toa meanwhile concentrates on NSW Cup and transitional coach?

Possibly.. maybe they wanted to see how Kyle went as well because moving him on as Shane comes in would be awkward. Though I'm not sure about the Ciraldo part..

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
NRL 360/ the journos reckon Ciraldo is a done deal. That's probably a good thing as far as keeping and building around Burton.

It's a pretty good opportunity for Ciraldo with Reed and Kikau incoming. All we need is to fix our strength and conditioning.

Trophy Points
Mick Potter has come out saying he'd like to continue coaching Dogs as well.

Hmm.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Mick Potter has come out saying he'd like to continue coaching Dogs as well.

Hmm.

Probably a bit too late for head coach now seeing as Ciraldo appears to be a done deal.. but surely that also means Gus wanted Cameron all along.

But I hope Mick is able to stay around in some role, he clearly gets through to the players.

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
i think Mick would be great as an assistant coach to Ciraldo. I hope this happens but still no confirmation or press release from Gould depite people and the press thinking it is a done deal with Ciraldo. If its signed announce it dogs dont keep us in the dark any longer. As a plus was great to see RFM's contract extended by another 3 years. He deserves it and has been improving since he came back week after week. Congrats RFM you are going to be a valuable part of the forwards moving on and into next year

Trophy Points
RFM will also be invaluable in the leadership group alongside JAC, for the younger players coming through.

The Ciraldo thing is kinda strange. If it was happening why just now and not weeks or months ago? Pretty sure I read that Panthers said they won't stand in the way if he gets an offer for head coach.

Unless my theory about wanting the entire coaching lineup sorted (and announced) is what club are aiming for (so players from other clubs will know exactly who they are working with in 2023.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
So one of the Titans owners tried to take a jab at us and Tigers, Warriors by making a comment about being reactive and sacking the coach, labelling it "poor leadership" or something like that, but instead of sacking Holbrook they've sacked all his staff and are now trying to get Shane Flanagan in as an "assistant".

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Well it is again Thursday morning so Mr Gould is the announcement coming today or are we being baited in anticipation week in and week out again.??
I want to open this up tonight and read about a press conference called today by the dogs in relation to the coaching situation please. and please include Michael Potter in the coaching team!! Imagine the kick this will give the players for the weekend seeing as they are playing the cowboys currently running second on the league table.!!

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
The way things are going it wouldn't be too bad to keep the current staff and maybe just look at a new defensively coach, though in saying that we've defended the best of the bottom teams, and quite often our issues come down to strength and conditioning which in my mind is apparent given we're always a better first half team.

Trophy Points
Seems to be dragging on a bit now, but maybe the clubs conflicted between Potter and Ciraldo. Or maybe they are waiting to see what Potter does with Ciraldo as head coach.

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
As much as it may well, for some reason, be in the dog's management interests to hold off telling the fans what they are doing in regards to coaches next season. It must be unsettling for some players to be kept in the dark unless they already know in which case it is the best kept secret this year in the NRL. It is also awkward for Michael Potter who I must say has done an awesome job with the team since he took over. Unless once again he knows but has been told to keep quiet just now. However the longer this drags on now the more it suggests that Ciraldo is maybe not joining us or has not committed to the dogs at this stage. Nothing surprises me at this point in the season with managers of players and coaches playing games to get the best deal for their own but as the season draws ominously towards the end the club and players and management and supporters need to know which direction things are going before much longer before some players decide that the uncertainty is not good for their future careers also.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
The NRL have relinquished control. Negotiations and the way media are able to report lies in favour of player managers etc is absolute chaos and feels as if it's gotten worse under the current administration. It's all a big game and isn't healthy for the product.

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
The NRL have relinquished control. Negotiations and the way media are able to report lies in favour of player managers etc is absolute chaos and feels as if it's gotten worse under the current administration. It's all a big game and isn't healthy for the product.
Not surprising with the current administration in control. They want to be the champion of everyone by taking each way bets but take heed sitting on barbed wire fences ends in very prickly situations. We didnt want superleague years ago because it put total control in outside interests but welcome to 2022 where it is indeed becoming superleague again. Take a look at the constand emphasis on betting and oh how easily that can be manipulated by interested parties. Certain NRl chiefs would know lots about that coming from horse racing! Now we know the dogs are against this constant reminder of how big betting is taking control and perhaps the club is suffering by not going along with it. Time will tell.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Not surprising with the current administration in control. They want to be the champion of everyone by taking each way bets but take heed sitting on barbed wire fences ends in very prickly situations. We didnt want superleague years ago because it put total control in outside interests but welcome to 2022 where it is indeed becoming superleague again. Take a look at the constand emphasis on betting and oh how easily that can be manipulated by interested parties. Certain NRl chiefs would know lots about that coming from horse racing! Now we know the dogs are against this constant reminder of how big betting is taking control and perhaps the club is suffering by not going along with it. Time will tell.

I'm just glad we have Gus at the club because he would have seen the potential cap benefits of lending JAC out, but instead of acting he weighed it up with the benefits for our team having him for the remainder of the season, as well as the impact it would have had on the fans.. that's even to say if Josh would have gone. But if they ran the cap better, teams wouldn't have to think twice to begin with.

The biggest beef I have with the gambling is the way they're still allowed to advertise it as this great old time you have with your mates.. and then they absolutely saturate it on a product that's going out to children.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Apparently we're looking at signing somebody who previously worked for the Tigers in the footballing department. I wonder if that's what Gus was talking to Michael Maguire about.. it sounds bad hiring somebody from the Tigers but I think they do alright in the junior systems, as in, below NSW cup

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Apparently we're looking at signing somebody who previously worked for the Tigers in the footballing department. I wonder if that's what Gus was talking to Michael Maguire about.. it sounds bad hiring somebody from the Tigers but I think they do alright in the junior systems, as in, below NSW cup
might be the cleaner cos they wanted a clean sweep

Trophy Points
Yeah I'm always iffy when we go shopping at teams low on the ladder.

Tigers have been a basketcase for years both on and off field.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Hayden Knowles is apparently looking to leave the Knights... I think he'd be a good get for us, as he's worked with Burton and Kikau before and is proven, despite whatever has happened in Newcastle. If Ciraldo is going to be our coach I could see him bringing Knowles on board.